+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Garage Conversion

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    Hi all,
    Been away awhile listening and thought I’d post a quick update. The room has been used almost daily since finishing it. I always intended to treat the room but having spent so much time in the building process I lost a little impetus. Anyway, on Saturday I made a couple of quick sound absorbers using some spare insulation bats I had left... what a revelation. The sound has improved beyond anything I could have imagined! I made the bass traps early on, but the two absorbers have, without exaggeration, transformed the sound utterly. Any tendency towards harshness has gone. The sound is now so solid, detailed and has added weight and punch. I am gobsmacked, totally and utterly. I’m now going to build some form of diffuser for the rear of the room. Also a little treatment on the ceiling as there is a significant echo when clapping. I don’t want to overdo it though.
    If you have the ability to add some absorbers, then I can only say it’s a must!

Hi Glen, good to hear from you again and that you are enjoying and improving your listening room, the panels look very good.

It is very interesting the difference some simple panels/absorbtion material on walls and in corners can make. I have experimented in our lounge (my hifi room) hanging up some blankets against side walls and placing some on corners over old standard lamps in back corners behind me. I measured with REW and listened and there was a marked improvement in definition/clarity. I broached the panel subject with SWMBO (Sue Who Must Be Obeyed), saying I would make my own nice looking ones to blend in, the answer was an emphatic NO!

If you put ceiling panels up I read somewhere that it is best to have them about 2-3 feet in front of the speakers and for them to be suspended about 2-3 inches off the ceiling. So you should only need a couple in your room I think.

Will be interesting to hear how you find it if you do put ceiling ones up.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Any reason why you put the panel so far up the wall.
    Er, no.. I wasn’t sure where to hang them really. The room is quite small anyway and I was trying not to put them too close to the floor. I can only drop them about 8” due to power sockets. Would you recommend that? If so what difference would it make do you think?

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Glen, good to hear from you again and that you are enjoying and improving your listening room, the panels look very good.

It is very interesting the difference some simple panels/absorbtion material on walls and in corners can make. I have experimented in our lounge (my hifi room) hanging up some blankets against side walls and placing some on corners over old standard lamps in back corners behind me. I measured with REW and listened and there was a marked improvement in definition/clarity. I broached the panel subject with SWMBO (Sue Who Must Be Obeyed), saying I would make my own nice looking ones to blend in, the answer was an emphatic NO!

If you put ceiling panels up I read somewhere that it is best to have them about 2-3 feet in front of the speakers and for them to be suspended about 2-3 inches off the ceiling. So you should only need a couple in your room I think.

Will be interesting to hear how you find it if you do put ceiling ones up.
    Thanks Adrian, appreciate the comments. I’ll keep your thoughts in mind regarding the ceiling absorption too, thank you

I'm Robert.

Nice one Adrian and well done again.

With regard to the panels and the resulting sound / presentation that's thrilling you, you may well have found your sweet-spot or pretty close, so as you say, be careful not to overdo it
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Nice one Adrian and well done again.

With regard to the panels and the resulting sound / presentation that's thrilling you, you may well have found your sweet-spot or pretty close, so as you say, be careful not to overdo it
    Thank you, I am very conscious of not overdoing it. The sound is pretty spectacular considering the modesty of the system. I'm blown away to say the least!

I'm Glen.

Paulf-2007 mentioned earlier why I placed the panels so high up the wall.. I don’t have an answer to that. Could anyone offer any suggestions as to the best height for the panels please, given the size of the room (9ftx16ft)? They can be easily moved.
    Thanks in advance

I'm Phil.

brilliant , i am hoping to put some GIK acoustics ceiling panels up as soon as i can to help with acoustics
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314