+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Garage Conversion

I'm David.

You've done a great job, enjoy the fruits of your labours.
    Last edited by antonio; 15-08-2019 at 05:53.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    It’s ok actually. Better than I thought it would be. It needs work though. There is still pretty bad flutter echo and I need to spend time placing the speakers correctly. I plonked them using the Cardas calculator and haven’t bothered to move then since. Bass needs a little more body for me, but I’ll wait until I’ve built the bass traps. Then I can build the first reflection point absorbers. I’ll probably add a skyline diffuser at the back to complete the treatment if I can be bothered!
    You might want to consider hanging a triangular sail up in ceiling, an often overlooked large reflective flat expanse, I threatened this in our lounge and even though I gave a list of aesthetic and artistic reasons SWMBO firmly put her foot down and waggled her finger and head at me. I think I was pushing my luck a bit.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Looks a very nice 'den'. Like the rack.

The thought did cross my mind, will any future owner spend ages converting it back into a garage?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

As Glen already has some acoustic insulation my offer is now open to other members. Namely, an unopened pack of Rockwell acoustic insulation. The pack contains 4 blocks, each 100mm thick and measuring 1200mm x 600mm. The 100mm version is the sweet spot for acoustic panels, and 1200mm x 600 mm a good sized acoustic panel.

Free to anyone who can collect from Warsop in North Notts (on the edge of Sherwood Forest).

I'm Glen.

So after a busy afternoon.. proper bass traps!

I'm Martin.

very tidy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    So after a busy afternoon.. proper bass traps!

Out of curiosity, what materials did you use to make the bass traps and has it made much difference to the acoustics?

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Out of curiosity, what materials did you use to make the bass traps and has it made much difference to the acoustics?
    I actually used three pieces of arris rail, I think they call it, as it's cut in a triangle shape. With a board top and bottom. Then some RWA45 insulation I had spare. Wrapped in burlap/Hessian.
    It's certainly tamed any tendency to boom. The bass seems fully controlled. With some test tracks I don't feel the need to turn it down at all, which is a good thing I suppose.

I'm Adrian.

Very nice job Glen, looks very professional.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Glen.

At the insistence (yeah right!) Of my daughter, I 'had' to buy a TV for the room. A nice 65" Panasonic OLED fit the bill nicely. I have to say the picture quality from 4k and Standard Blu-Ray is astonishing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast