+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firebottle 2000 MC Head Amp

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Is this the version we discussed Alan?
    Sure is Ali, just need to change one of the FETs as it's 'slightly' noisy
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Good stuff, how does it compare?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

I've only compared it to the Gold (9V) head amp and the MC input on the KIN preamp.

The 2000 has a better more solid bottom end than the Gold head amp. Compared to the KIN the differences are about the size of a gnat's biscuit.
    The KIN has more gain so the ultimate noise floor is lower, but I have to agree with Marco that there is just 'something' right about an external head amp feeding an MM stage.

There is a gnat's biscuit more focus or 'projection', it's very hard to pin down. It is the same with my valve head amp.

Technically it is difficult to understand. With an external head amp there is another capacitor in the signal line, plus the same FET is used in the 2000 and the KIN MC input.
    MM input on the KIN is common cathode operation for the first valve stage, but common grid (usually referred to as grounded grid) when switched to MC operation

I'm inthescottishmafia.

om thanks, sounds promising..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12