+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LPs in Sainsbury's

I'm ADRIAN.

I noticed Vinyl records in Asda too
    Morley, West Yorkshire
    A section of them - I think they had Led Zep 2 and "Bridge over troubled"

I'm Steve.

The TV adverts for Father's Day Records/ CD's always assume that dads only like Bit Pop type stuff (Oasis, Dodgy, Supergrass etc.) or compilations of "Rock Classics" featuring Free, Steppenwolf, Meatloaf etc.

Personally I'd rather be trapped in a "Dutch Oven" after Mrs. P had a meal exclusively of cruciferous vegetables than have to endure that done-to-death pap.

I know my girls would not make that assumption. They will ask me what I would like. Favourite choices at the mo would be Jorja Smith or Lake Street Dive.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

The "record store" unit in my local Sainsbury's has drifted from being front of house to a dark corner of the shop. It has only ever seemed to contain the same dozen or so LPs, with the noble exception of the two compilations curated by Bob Stanley of Saint Etienne. Last autumn I read that those Own Label records were to be the first in a series but six months down the line things seems to have gone quiet.

If music is reduced to being commoditised as a choice between 12 "classic albums" for a Father's Day gift then that's rather missing the point. It's a bit different to baked beans or bog rolls and my family know that I love music, so they'd never dream of buying me a packet of it from a supermarket. Top of my current wish list is Orange Goblin's 2004 LP, which I suspect isn't on Sainsburys' radar...

Pete

I'm Grant.

orange goblins eh... think you ight have to go to the fag counter for that
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    orange goblins eh... think you ight have to go to the fag counter for that
    Or the in-store chemist.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    The "record store" unit in my local Sainsbury's has drifted from being front of house to a dark corner of the shop. It has only ever seemed to contain the same dozen or so LPs, with the noble exception of the two compilations curated by Bob Stanley of Saint Etienne. Last autumn I read that those Own Label records were to be the first in a series but six months down the line things seems to have gone quiet.

If music is reduced to being commoditised as a choice between 12 "classic albums" for a Father's Day gift then that's rather missing the point. It's a bit different to baked beans or bog rolls and my family know that I love music, so they'd never dream of buying me a packet of it from a supermarket. Top of my current wish list is Orange Goblin's 2004 LP, which I suspect isn't on Sainsburys' radar...

Pete
    The two latest Bob Stanley compilations were released last week, a Hank Marvin compilation and a synth pop compilation. They had them in my local Sainsburys but I'm not interested in them.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    The two latest Bob Stanley compilations were released last week, a Hank Marvin compilation and a synth pop compilation. They had them in my local Sainsburys but I'm not interested in them.
    Bob Stanley? I'm thinking the stamp bloke but I guess it isn't him. Hank Marvin, lovely bloke but never saw the point of him or The Shadows. Synth pop....no thanks. Not keen on the organic variety much so deffo don't want the ersatz version.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Bob Stanley? I'm thinking the stamp bloke but I guess it isn't him. Hank Marvin, lovely bloke but nevehr saw the point of him or The Shadows. Synth pop....no thanks. Not keen on the organic variety much so deffo don't want the ersatz version.
    he was a music journo as well as a player. think he wrote about something else too but cant remember
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Bob Stanley? I'm thinking the stamp bloke but I guess it isn't him. Hank Marvin, lovely bloke but never saw the point of him or The Shadows. Synth pop....no thanks. Not keen on the organic variety much so deffo don't want the ersatz version.
    The Shadows were the first pop group I followed. I loved Hank Marvin's guitar sound, and still do.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The Shadows were the first pop group I followed. I loved Hank Marvin's guitar sound, and still do.
    My mum was quite keen on them. I remember them being on the telly one night and her insisting we all watch them. After all of her build up when they came on we were like 'What? Is this it?'

That would be about 1977.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast