+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: LPs in Sainsbury's

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This is also a fab album, from 1966:

Marco.
    Agreed.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken & Tesla Valves)
    Digital: NONE
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 & Monarchy Audio SM-70 Class A Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Pink Floyd, Mothers of Invention (Zappa), Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Bob Dylan, The Who? Any of that pre-1967 music float ya boat?

Marco.
    They certainly float mine! I have stuff by all of them.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Martin.

Pink Floyd, Mothers of Invention (Zappa), Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Bob Dylan, The Who? Any of that pre-1967 music float ya boat?

Marco.
    I do have some pre '67 Marvin Gaye. Only Who album I like is 'Who's Next' which is what, 1970? I have got Blonde On Blonde but I'm not that keen on it. Zappa first album was 1966 but I don't have it.

Listening to Classical just makes me think of adverts and old cartoons. Can't help it.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm Martin.

I do have the Bluesbreakers album with Eric Clapton. Not a bad record that but still sounds dated.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting... "Dated" in what way, as opposed to, say, how other blues or jazz albums from 1967 (or after) aren't?

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Geoff.

I should flog my collection of late sixties and seventies LP's. I'd probably get enough money to retire on....................Hang on, I am retired!

I'm Martin.

Interesting... "Dated" in what way, as opposed to, say, how other blues or jazz albums from 1967 (or after) aren't?

Marco.
    In that it sounds like an 'early' record whereas jazz and (delta) blues sounds timeless, or outside of time.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Blimey, it's been a busy 24 hours on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    The two latest Bob Stanley compilations were released last week, a Hank Marvin compilation and a synth pop compilation. They had them in my local Sainsburys but I'm not interested in them.
    Thanks for the update, I looked about 3 weeks ago so must've just missed these. Not a great synthpop fan myself, but any album with B-Movie's "Nowhere Girl" is worth a thought. They're already asking 35 on eBay !

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    he was a music journo as well as a player. think he wrote about something else too but cant remember
    Yep, he was in St. Etienne (the band, not the losing 1976 European Cup finalists).

Pete

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    In that it sounds like an 'early' record whereas jazz and (delta) blues sounds timeless, or outside of time.
    Fair enough; it just sounds 'down and dirty'/groovy to me.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Blimey, it's been a busy 24 hours on this thread.

Thanks for the update, I looked about 3 weeks ago so must've just missed these. Not a great synthpop fan myself, but any album with B-Movie's "Nowhere Girl" is worth a thought. They're already asking 35 on eBay !

Yep, he was in St. Etienne (the band, not the losing 1976 European Cup finalists).

Pete
    There were plenty in my local yesterday if you want one posted.

Interestingly (to me at least) if you look at the uk album chart update vinyl sales (before I get flamed for mentioning the charts I am not a follower of the charts but it was mentioned by someone on twitter) the two small faces albums that have exclusives in Sainsburys are currently 6 and 7 and the Zombies no 14 so Sainsburys appear to be shifting a reasonable number. That said with so many stores they probably only need to shift a few in each where they are sold.

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...-albums-chart/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast