+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peak District for a week recommendations

I'm Sandy.

Default Peak District for a week recommendations

I have a week off at the end of May and haven't explored the Peak District.
    My vague plan was to get on my old motorbike and ride some of the lovely routes. I have lots of routes recommended. I will likely do some of them in both directions.
    I like a decent pint of real ale and genuine local food, but don't have a budget for fancy or trendy. My idea of minimum decent sleeping is a Premier Inn.
    Can I have your recommendations for places to stay and places to eat? I'm not a total tightwad so decent pub/grub/room suggestions are appreciated. And what to avoid.
    Many thanks.

I'm Lawrence.

In don't know the Peak District but have you been to the North Pennines? I went there a couple of times (Weardale and up to the moors) and was completely blown away by the beauty and the lack of tourists it's not on the map the same way as the Peak District.

If you like seeing more people and touristy things then you may not like it as much and it's further away from you.

I'm Steve.

Buxton would make a good base, some famous motorbike routes nearby and plenty to see in Buxton itself including a great little opera house. It also has a premier Inn. You can head north or NE towards Huddersfield and nip into Holmfirth (last of the summer wine), bakewell, matlock ,glossop Diggle (Audiocounsel!), Ashbourne, Leek, the Roaches (Wincle brewery) There is just stunning scenery everywhere you go.
    Last edited by Bourney; 13-05-2023 at 08:23.

I'm Steve.

The Bulls Head in Monyash is a sort of farmers pub but does the best bangers and mash I have ever tasted. More 'hearty grub' than fancy pants food on square plates.
    Last edited by Bourney; 13-05-2023 at 08:25.

I'm Steve.

The Lazy Trout at Meerbrook is good pub grub and next to a beautiful walk around Tittesworth Reservoir.
    The three horseshoes up the road has great views of the Roaches (I got married there) and does a good carvery.
    Sorry, I'm going on a bit

I'm Keith.

The Carding Shed just outside Holmfirth is worth a visit. Admire the old cars they are refurbing and enjoy a lovely full English breakfast.

I'm Dave.

Matlock could be worth a visit too. I think there's a tram museum near there [Crich], plus some caves and a cable car which straddles the road.

In the Peak District there is also Blue John Cavern - which might be unusual if you've not seen such a thing before.
    Dave

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    Buxton would make a good base, some famous motorbike routes nearby and plenty to see in Buxton itself including a great little opera house. It also has a premier Inn. You can head north or NE towards Huddersfield and nip into Holmfirth (last of the summer wine), bakewell, matlock ,glossop Diggle (Audiocounsel!), Ashbourne, Leek, the Roaches (Wincle brewery) There is just stunning scenery everywhere you go.
    The road that runs from Buxton to Macclesfield (commonly referred to as The Cat and Fiddle) is a must do for bikers, and has a pub at the top iirc of the same name. But it can be heavily policed in the summer months and has a blanket 50mph speed limit, due to so many riders running out of talent and coming a cropper.

Still worth a visit though imo.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Sandy.

Fabulous. I'm going to try to take in a couple of the places that The Hairy Bikers visited too. I like a pie.

I'm Geoff.

If you find yourself on the eastern edge of the Peak District towards Sheffield, then check out this music venue to see who's performing at the time. it's a great intimate venue with a good sound system that attracts excellent talent. it also has some very good beers. I am particularly partial to the Jaipur IPA.

https://www.mygreystones.co.uk/events/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast