+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: Are You Knocking On a Bit?

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Ah, these must be yours, no wonder I couldn't see bugger all.
    sounds like mine
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Steve.

Back on the 70s, some bright little ne'er do well discovered that if you put a small elastic band around the edge of a 10p coin, you could fool vending machines into thinking it was a 50p. Several pubs round Preston only twigged when it came to refilling their cigarette machines, and finding a shit load of ten-pees and elastic bands.

I wouldn't have wanted to be in the shoes of whoever got caught red handed there. 70s landlords were a tough bunch, had to be.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Back on the 70s, some bright little ne'er do well discovered that if you put a small elastic band around the edge of a 10p coin, you could fool vending machines into thinking it was a 50p. Several pubs round Preston only twigged when it came to refilling their cigarette machines, and finding a shit load of ten-pees and elastic bands.

I wouldn't have wanted to be in the shoes of whoever got caught red handed there. 70s landlords were a tough bunch, had to be.
    There was a similar trick when the newfangled £1 coins came out - wrapping the old style 5p (shilling) I think it was in tin foil to the same diameter and thickness of the £1 coin would fool vending machines. 5p to £1 - not a bad return on your investment even taking into account the roll of Bacofoil.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    There was a similar trick when the newfangled £1 coins came out - wrapping the old style 5p (shilling) I think it was in tin foil to the same diameter and thickness of the £1 coin would fool vending machines. 5p to £1 - not a bad return on your investment even taking into account the roll of Bacofoil.
    Or indeed the role of Bacofoil

I'm Geoff.

It's funny how one's strength declines and you become less muscular with advancing years. I was poking about in the garage/workshop and dug out an old Avery 56lb weight to clean up. I can cart it about no bother, but god knows how I used to manage arm curls with it, but I did (not many though ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I can remember in my twenties, a delivery of 20 one hundredweight (112lbs) bags of cement was made whilst my father was away from the house. I was the only one in at the time, so it was down to me to shift them all. Even then my knees were 'buckling' at the end.

Nowadays, I doubt if I could easily manage half that weight.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's funny how one's strength declines and you become less muscular with advancing years. I was poking about in the garage/workshop and dug out an old Avery 56lb weight to clean up. I can cart it about no bother, but god knows how I used to manage arm curls with it, but I did (not many though ).
    Yeah, it's called sarcopenia. I think by the age of 60 it'll be about 1% per year, and this decrease isn't linear

A couple of years ago when I was fitting some windows in a customer's garage I saw one of those 56lb weights. In my younger years 12 to 15 overhead reps was easy peasy. This time I struggled with half a dozen. Bit depressing really.

I should join a gym really, see if I can slow down the decline. Maybe treat myself to an OAP-rate membership for my 66th birthday...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849