+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tonearms

I'm Shaun.

It's very much in existance. You just have to forego the convenience.

I'm Nobody.

Never

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Yes you are. Interesting that many moving coil carts cause less "handling microphonics" than many moving magnets..

According to Vinyl Engine, the 747 had better bearings and a more rigid arm-tube. Is the headshell the same geometry as others of this type?

I shall investigate my 707/SL150 soon, but I'll probably play safe and fit a Supex, as I have the extra counterweight ring it needed..
    The 747 had a replaceable headshell (that appears to be be a lot more rigid than the horror on the 707). The rest of the 747 is superficially similar to the 707, but the arm lift pad has a wider arc and the bearing caps are different.

Regards
    Barry

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Sorry to keep defending the 707 (I have two after all, I discovered...), but the plastic is rather thick on the headshell and "boxy" in design to keep a fair amount of rigidity. It was designed for CD-4 compatible MM cartridges such as the JVC X1 and similar, so low mass and wide frequency response was judged important. My "other" Grace has the headshell milled out a little for the Asak, which came along around the time of the Mk2 707 (mine were "converted."

As I said, in the UK, the 707 ruled until the dreaded ittok came on the scene and it's bright and breezy balance suited the old fruitbox perfectly, especially when tempered with the Supex 900E cartridge. Still one of the most neutral sounding LP12 combinations IMO.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345