+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonearms

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I love the Zeta, BUT NOT ON AN STD..................... This deck is a lighter build than the top model Systemdek's and Logic DM101, let alone the heavier built Aristons, TD125's and LP12's IMO.

Use a less "critical-n-fussy" arm (I think the straight-tube Jelco would be perfect and still similar to the model they made in the early eighties IIRC).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ILOB.

A rewire to a Zeta makes a huge difference but no idea what it be like on this deck so Dave is probarly right
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nobody.

Well the last STD '305' i had was a silver finish with Electronic display (D) this had SME 'IIIS' fitted, i dislike that arm with a passion.

As for other arm. Jap stuff no way

I'm spending no more than £150.00 second hand as it's not my main source, it's just to fill a fettish but i'm still a fussy swine.

Helius 'Orion' is too heavy & too pricey.
    'Zeta' the same, most 'Zeta' have iffy bearings anyway as do the Mission 774'SM' (Built by GB Tools the same)
    Alphason 'HR100S' is nice but again can have iffy bearings..The 'Xenon' & 'Opal' are nice alternative, i think these had ceramic bearings..Linn cut out would not be a problem. Even though it's criminal even having the thought of a Linn idea anywhere

I love the Mission '774 Original but the aluminium casting is a lot to be desired!

I do love the Mayware 'F4' aswell but as Guy says they are low mass uni's & limited to cartridge even though some of my fave carts suit Low mass arms! (I missed one on e-bay last night)

So the last two low mass designs are possible..

I'm just getting people to awaken my elephantine memory a bit (I'm getting old)

Here's two pics i posted on Vinyl engine of my old Mayware i fully restored, rewired & fitted sonus parts to..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-03-2010 at 03:20.

I'm Nobody.

btw:
    there's a Original Mission '774' mounted on a Linda Ronstadt 'LP12' E-bay way tried convincing him the 'LP12' would about fetch the same without the arm but he wasnt having it!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The 774 was roughly finished and not all of them had good bearings. Later ones improved the finish but the wiring to amp will need to be replaced because it's too stiff for suspended decks. Not a problem to do today.

SME III's are fine with high compliance cartridges and with a V15 III SAS or Ortofon Concord "Wand" you'll get a great vintage sound to suit your musical tastes IMO
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The 774 was roughly finished and not all of them had good bearings. Later ones improved the finish but the wiring to amp will need to be replaced because it's too stiff for suspended decks. Not a problem to do today.
    Aye the wiring was shit, stole it's ground from one of the cartridge tag grounds...The handy thing about this arm was the removable/adjustable wands which makes cartridge mount & azimuth a doggle to set up.Real shame this arm was better presented as it was a great sounding arm...

I'm Adam.

I can also highly recommend the Audio Technica AT-1130 - a very under-rated arm IMHO. I used one for years on my 301 until upgrading to the HR-100S but I still have it.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I can also highly recommend the Audio Technica AT-1130 - a very under-rated arm IMHO.

Thanks Adam but no thanks it's Japanese...Yes please to the HR100 tho..

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Thanks Adam but no thanks it's Japanese
    Ah, OK. Is this a bad thing then? I never realised...............

I'm notAlone.

The day Andre finds out that ELP are (actually) Japanese, it will be Armageddon day...
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast