+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on new power amp

I'm David.

i shouldnt let conectivity put you off with companies like mark grant and flashback around
    mark has been very helpfull this past week for me
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Unfortunately Flashback's cable would set me back £26, and whilst I can't find such a cable on Mark Grant's website, I'm sure his custom jobbies would be about the same. Frankly, I'd rather just spend the extra £25 on a better power amp
    Good to have that link to Flashback though. I'll keep that one for future ref.
    Simon.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You don't see them very often, but the A&R power amps listed above are like bigger and more "solid" sounding A60's. Their Myryad descendants would be a lot more expensive though. Even a valve classic like a Rogers Cadet III now fetches nigh on £200..

Quad 303? Easily serviced and with loads of update capability with improved difficult load drive and higher current output possible when fully sretched, the capacitor coupling gives a looser and slightly "plumper" feel to many of the directly coupled tranny amps I've heard by comparison. The only shortcoming at the end of it's life was that the design was optimised for speakers dipping no lower than 6 Ohms - I understand that Tannoys from the late sixties-early seventies were nominally 11 Ohms..
    The A&R SA150/200 & Quad 303 had something in common being that they were both let down by the partnering Pre amps..The A&R 'C200' Pre was rubbish.

About this time i like the old Quantum Electronics power amps, plain boxed looked nothing, klike skinny old Exposure shape but sounded nice..The production models anyway.. '207DA' Stereo & '205' Mono's were best.. again let down by the '102' pre amp, but at least a matching '402' PSU..They were kinda in the Naim half width/full width type of arrangement..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 05-11-2009 at 01:53.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

What's a Quad 306 worth? I'm considering bidding for one that ends in 9 hours. Just as good as a 303, or better?
    Simon.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    What's a Quad 306 worth? I'm considering bidding for one that ends in 9 hours. Just as good as a 303, or better?
    Yeh not bad about 150.00-200.00..One of the newer breeds of Quad.I prefer the '303'..Bear in mind the '306' has an on/off power button the '303' don't, also '303' has 4 pin din for interconnection the '306' RCA Phono's

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Got in touch with Retro Reproduction, and all he could offer was an Arcam Alpha 8P @ £145. Maybe I could get it down to £120ish by part-exchanging my Denon, which he sold me originally. Opinions?
    Simon.

I'm Santosh.

Hi
    Cyrus amps...I won't touch it, it is my opinion and I do not want to be rude.
    Once upon a time I read a good review about Cyrus VS integrated amp and I bought it. I surely wasted my money on that and a power supply. It can never run loud and it clips at high peaks (for eg if you are playing Pink Floyd -The Wall track). It is not worth the money. Finally I managed to sell it off!

I'm Nobody.

I hear you i've had two Cyrus amps & hated both..Why ever i bought the second i don't remember. Equally as bad are Arcam amps, they are so poor compared to the past A&R cambridge units.

I'm notAlone.

I've had two Cyrus (a two and my actual 8xp) and never had the problems you seem to describe...
    (by the way, the model two is still working after 25 years - never sent to service)
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Well, I've just put down a max bid of £100 for an Arcam Alpha 8 & 8P combo in VGC with remote. Snowball's chance in Hell of getting them, but what the heck!
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast