+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: New Mark Grant G1000HD Precision cables

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm using one from wall to distribution block and yes, it's excellent and half the price of the equivalent Rega mains lead which looks very similar... Most of the rest of it uses captive mains leads and I'm still using the Roxburgh filters in any case.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Great news, Peter - we always enjoy your contributions. Are you still using your Techie or are you now completely lost to the 'delights' of computer audio?

Marco.
    Use computer audio most of the time. The teccie almost got a run this week, but I'm waiting on a wee phonostage that'll be autopowered by the 282 ( a Stageline 'E'), that'll make running the teccie more convenient. I have to plug unplug to use the Teccie currently. I think it still sounds best in absolute terms, but don't have the space to store records. Between CDX/XPS and SB3/TeddySB3PS/Chevron Dac, I'm hard pushed to notice a difference, but think the CD player get's the nod. Just waiting for the latest generation G2000HD's to see what they bring.

I also bought Scoobs old VRDS-9 to use into the dac, and then I'm going to stop and try to sell some of the expensive gear.
    Last edited by Peter Stockwell; 22-09-2010 at 14:12. Reason: typos
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm using one from wall to distribution block and yes, it's excellent and half the price of the equivalent Rega mains lead which looks very similar... Most of the rest of it uses captive mains leads and I'm still using the Roxburgh filters in any case.
    I like the idea of captive mains leads, as IECs are (in general) evil things, in terms of degrading sound quality, but only if the cable in question of the captive mains lead is of suitably high quality.

In my experience, some of the captive mains leads used on vintage gear are shockingly poor, compared to the best types available today for audio purposes.

When you can be arsed (and can afford to do so), Dave, you should replace all your captive mains leads for Mark Grant DSP 2.5s, hard-wiring them in situ. You can always keep the old leads, and refit them, should you ever sell your gear.

You will then obtain (cumulatively) the sonic improvement you gained from using one from the wall to your distribution block, and trust me your system will never sound better!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Peter,

Use computer audio most of the time. The teccie almost got a run this week, but I'm waiting on a wee phonostage that'll be autopowered by the 282 ( a Stageline 'E'), that'll make running the teccie more convenient. I have to plug unplug to use the Teccie currently.
    Ah, that must be a bit of a ball-ache, and it certainly isn't going to encourage frequent listening sessions. Hope the Stageline E hits the spot

I think it still sounds best in absolute terms, but don't have the space to store records.
    The latter is undoubtedly a key issue. You've still got the KAB PSU, haven't you, and the stock tonearm, too (I can't remember)? Things have moved forward now big time, so your deck could definitely do with an update!

There are all sorts of mods now available that would launch the performance of your Techie into the stratosphere, sonically, leaving behind all of your other sources in that respect

Between CDX/XPS and SB3/TeddySB3PS/Chevron Dac, I'm hard pushed to notice a difference, but think the CD player get's the nod. Just waiting for the latest generation G2000HD's to see what they bring.
    Is it your CDX that was Audiocom-modified? I remember you got Mark to upgrade something, but I forget what it was. If so, I'm not surprised that CD sounds so good on your system.

The G2000HDs are stunningly good, and will undoubtedly give your music collection a whole new lease of life!

I also bought Scoobs old VRDS-9 to use into the dac, and then I'm going to stop and try to sell some of the expensive gear.
    Good move. I like the Teac VRDS machines, as they're built very well and all use high quality transport mechanisms - an absolute essential for accurate CD replay. You should get Mark to 'breathe' on that, too - you may be surprised at the results!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

The Stageline E and the Teac VRDS-9 arrived today, now i've got to do some tinkering . The Teccie has an SME IV/AT33PTG
    Last edited by Peter Stockwell; 22-09-2010 at 17:48.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.