+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 171 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good review Martin.

Philips have always been the 'poor sister' when it comes to their high end gear - and were usually looked down upon by the magazine reviewers. But Hell, what do they know?

By the looks of things your power amp is 2U in height - I can't imagine Philips deviated from the usual 19" rack mounting specification. Just check that the overall width is 20" wide, with the fixing slots on a 19" pitch.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I've got a rack mount Teac that came out of a studio, I'll check it against that. By eye it looks to be standard but I'm not a hundred percent.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andre.

No Barry 19" width is the standard rack Faceplate not 20"

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes - you are quite correct: 19" wide with the fixings 18.3" apart.

(I was thinking of the original British GPO racking specification, which used 20" wide panels attached to the uprights using 0BA screws on a 19" pitch.)
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Wow, looks an amazing beastie - proper hi-fi with a schematic and graphs on the top cover!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Bought a Philips 22AH380 / DC380 ‘Black Tulip’ Power Amplifier last week with the vague aim of collecting the full set for no really good reason other than I like how it looks.

Here's what the full 'Black Tulip' system looks like, in its own matching rack mount stand thingy for those who have never seen it:

This was Philips last foray into the high end back in 79 or thereabouts, at least under their own name. They sold some in Europe but the British hi-fi mags crucified it and dubbed it 'Black Turnip'. But they were all into Naim, Exposure, Linn and so forth in in those days...most foreign gear was suspect - most of us remember it well I guess so no need to elaborate.

Anyway although I know it has been re-evaluated in more recent, less partisan times, my intention was to collect it all over time and use it as the TV system. So absolute sound quality not a priority. It's just my favourite looking gear of all time. Yamaha NS1000M are what speakers should look like. Phillips Black Tulip is what electronics should look like. For me at least.

This is the pic of the actual amplifier from the sale thread as my camera is not cooperating right now. I took some photos of it myself but they are crap.

On connecting it up to some sacrificial speakers just to make sure it was okay I got hum on the left channel. I've bought a few bits of faulty kit recently so my first thought was 'Not again!' But after some tedious trial and error I won't go into, it turned out it was some sort of ground loop. Swapping pre-amps from the DCB1 to the pre-amp section of an XTZ integrated sorted it.

It's only for the tv system and I intend to get the matching pre, but I thought I might as well hook up my proper speakers and see what it was like in absolute terms. I've tried the XTZ pre amp with a fair few power amps and concluded it is not much cop. But it's the only pre-amp I have right now beside the DCB1.

Well knock me bandy this XTZ/ Phillips combo is outstanding! I actually prefer it to the DCB1/Krell KSA100 combo that has been the daily driver for the last 6 months or so.

See the previous ten or so posts on this thread where the matching of pre and power amps is said to be a black art....

Although don't get me wrong I think a lot of people would prefer the DCB1/Krell 100 combination. That's big, warm, a little bit 'valvey', whereas the XTZ/Phillips is far more forensic although without losing the 'sweetness'. But not as forensic as the DCB1/Krell KSA50S combo which is still the best I've ever had. Although the 50s is still U/S unfortunately. This Phillips is close, although not quite as good in the bass as the 50S, or the 100Mk2 for that matter.

Having said that I am having to use thin speaker cable to hook the Philips up instead of my usual hosepipe stuff so maybe that will have some bearing on things. I was going to keep it original but I might get some proper binding posts fitted as I can't see this leaving the main system until the Krell 50S gets sorted.

But anyway - it's close in the bass. And like all the best power amps it does the harmonics right, sounds like guitar chords ring out like chimes, they don't go all grainy as the sound peaks and decays. Likewise with female vocals. There's lots of highly regarded amplifiers that can't do that.

I'm after the matching pre-amp now so if anyone has got one in a cupboard or whatever, let me know.
    Good stuff, mate. You can't beat a bit of VU meterage!

Given it's provenance though, I'm not surprised it sounds good, and yes, as ever synergy rools!

Enjoy....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andre.

Certainly looks cool in a late 70's kinda way.. I always like the Techy 9000 series jobbies

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I'm after the matching pre-amp now so if anyone has got one in a cupboard or whatever, let me know.
    Hi Macca,

wonder if you have an eye on this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-P...8AAOSwXSZeGsWI
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Hi Macca,

wonder if you have an eye on this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-P...8AAOSwXSZeGsWI
    Yes I do. Although closed my ebay account years ago as my vintage tat buying was getting out of hand. But will get someone to bid on it for me
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

You bought that for the VU's didn't you?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread