+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 171 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1701

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Martin.

Got DCB1 back from pro shop, their EE says there's nothing wrong with it. Not tried putting it back in yet. Here's a picture anyway:

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

No pic showing here Martin?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Picture visible here.

Why was the DCB1 sent off? I must have missed that.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

had some hum thought it was that but the EE checked it and it's fine.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Got a bit of money I could spend so have been casually (for the moment) looking around to see what's available in the price range that exists between 'That's a lot of money to spend on loudspeakers' and 'You must be out of your tiny mind.'

Essentially I am looking for a speaker that will go lower in the bass than my current ones, but without losing the fabulous mid and top. I can't be doing with integrating subwoofers and I don't want to go active due to having to run power cables to each speaker which is awkward in my room. So I'm looking casually at the moment just to get an idea.

I might ultimately decide not to change what isn't broken though.

Needless to say there's quite a lot of choice in this price bracket especially if you include the used market, and that is where the real bargains are anyway. So far I've found a couple of contenders.

I'll kick off with this one:

Focal JM Labs Utopia. From 1997. From the same era of JM Lab as my current speakers, which I like a lot. These are just a much bigger version. Price when new? Sixty thousand dollar! That's $110,000 today or ninety thousand of our English pounds.

Yes I needed a sit down too.

Used price today? £4750. More depreciation than a Fiat Croma Turbo!

Pros -
    I know I will like their sound.
    Anechoic FR is -3db at 20 Hz so tick that box
    Look good.
    Price is keen

Cons -
    They are massive. I mean that's a fifteen inch woofer.
    They weigh almost 400 pounds each. That's 180 kilos in foreign.
    Focal recommend they are placed at least ten feet apart. Due to a chimney breast the width of my room where they will be placed is only ten foot.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

overkill me thinks
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    overkill me thinks
    That exact word had crossed my mind too. It's a stupidly large amount of loudspeaker for the cash though you have to admit.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That exact word had crossed my mind too. It's a stupidly large amount of loudspeaker for the cash though you have to admit.
    indeed and possibly an imovable object. hard to move and probably impossible to resell.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Speakers that do bass down to 30Hz and also have good sound quality tend to be big and very heavy. I don't think there's a way round that.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    overkill me thinks
    Dunno, but trying to shift them around could be fatal!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread