+ Reply to Thread
Page 169 of 169 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1690

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well I have been using electrostatics for near on the last 50 years. Clearly they are not the best speakers to use for rock: they are limited in both maximum SPL and with frequency response (in my case 97dB peak and 40Hz to 18kHz in response (-3dB points and asymptotic to -18dB/octave)); but what they do, they do with very good fidelity: very, very low THD; and with sufficient SPL to shake the floorboards.

I enjoy an absurd range of musical tastes, and whilst there maybe better speakers for certain genres of music, I'm so used to my speakers, and content with them, they will see me out.
    You have similar room to me, very long, so ideal for dipole speakers to work their best. I read that Peter Walker would always try to get a long room at a show and set up the ESL a third down and right against the side walls, listening spot a third in. He reckoned this gave the best top to bottom performance for both the original and the '63'

Orange colour flymo power cable for the speaker cable ofc.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

started listening again today with the PEQ in the same place I left off last time.

First thing up 'Tuesday Night Music Club' which I've not heard before except the singles and those only on lofi radios.

Jaw dropping! Maybe I got this right first time?

Follow up with Jimmy Page 'Outrider' - now I've had this in one form or another since it came out about 85 or something, it's a hard one to get right, Jimmy's trademark 'bright' production and all.

Jaw dropping! The reverb and decay on the low notes is really something. Was hoping dropping the mids down a fraction might bring this out but this is better than I expected. Maybe I just dropped lucky with these two productions though. Time will tell.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Took a snap with the flash on:

Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Still playing around with the PEQ. Now got a bass shelf 1dB up centred on 80Khz with a low Q.

Actually best improvement seems to have come from raising the digital input level a little, which seems to have added a bit of 'bite'.

Here's a shot of the rear - most of the inputs are for VCRs (yes video recorders!) - six of them. But there is a mono subwoofer out option so might try that if I can find a compatible sub.

Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

What is the digital voltage input at the moment?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What is the digital voltage input at the moment?
    -9db. It's attenuation with 0db being maximum input. Think it was at -12dB as default.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

I've pretty much finished with my evaluation of this pre-amp, with the PEQ and all.

End result after trying all manner of combinations of EQ is that I prefer it with it switched out.

This might be because I don't really know what I'm doing with it, or might be because I'd got it fairly right with the whole speaker/room thing already and there's no need for the EQ.

Whatever, there it is.

It has greater clarity than the Philips pre, that's my take-away. It also need to be running at higher levels to sound 'balanced' - in other words you have to crank it a little bit more than the Philips, at lower volume it seems a bit bass light by comparison.

The only adjustment I've kept is that I lowered the amount of attenuation on the digital input by 3dB which did seem to add a bit more body and bite. Might be if I lowered this some more I wouldn't need to crank the volume as much, I don't know. Obviously you can only go so far before you risk the dreaded digital clipping.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

After playing around with my Klark Technik equaliser I decided that whilst small changes to the mid range response (no more than +/- 0.5dB) were readily noticeable, they weren't necessarily better, just different. So in the end I removed the equaliser from my system.

Also I am not sure what the equaliser does to the phase/time response; which is just as important.

Anyway, to follow the architect Mies van de Rohe's dictum: "the less is more", which can apply as much to audio reproduction as it can to architecture.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-02-2024 at 19:57. Reason: Spelling!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I don't buy into the theory that phase is so important. The evidence is against it. I mean how many tracks in a mix, were they all recorded in phase? Then you've got reflected sound, or moving your head a couple of inches. What do they do to phase coherence?

It's not totally irrelevant, but it's usually just used as an excuse to sell bad speakers. Although coincidentally both sets of speaker I have in use are phase coherent designs.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Phase coherent speakers? If you look at tone burst oscillograms taken at various frequencies, they are not time coherent. Some speakers are better than others, but even if the acoustic centre of the drive units are physically coplanar, the cross over network can spoil things.

In my case with Quad ESLs, the panels are physically coplanar, but there is a cross over network that feeds them. However I'm told that the ESLs have very good time coherence.

What happens in the recording studio is irrelevant, what matters is the accurate replay of the subsequent recording.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread