+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12BH7A valve. Impressions? Insights?

I'm Panos.

Default Various NOS 12BH7A valves

Starting from the Sylvania 12BH7A with the green lettering, I tried a few other 12BH7A alternatives (see enclosed photo) in my Micro25R, driving two Series7R monoblocks.

Top row (left to right): Tung-Sol short black plate, Tung-Sol short black plate, Tung-Sol short black plate, Sylvania long short gray plate
    Bottom row (left to right): Raytheon short gray plate, Raytheon short gray plate, RCA long gray plate, Westinghouse short gray plate
    IMG_1888.jpg

Sonically, I detected similarities in relation to the length of the plate, i.e. the long plates sounded similar with each other, and so did the short plates (which I preferred).

Overall, I personally preferred the Westinghouse, which presented very good imaging, clear instrument separation, full body and deep, well-controlled bass.
    Second (slightly behind) was the Raytheon, which was similar to the Westinghouse, with perhaps slightly more fluidity and slightly less body.

Any opinions from fellow forum members?
    Last edited by pankon; 21-09-2016 at 09:39.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm John.

Those findings are rather interesting.

I too have a 25R modified by Glenn to use a 12BH7 in the line stage which has been up for sale here and elsewhere for around 3 months without success. Glenn originally fitted an unbranded 12BH7 and when I decided I'd like to try a different version I picked up that Glenn rather liked Westinghouse versions.

I bought a pair of NOS 1958 black plate D getter valves and fitted one in the 25R. The results were very positive in comparison with the unbranded version it replaced, however, I have never tried any other versions of the 12BH7 and so my own experiences are rather limited.

I have also been advertising the other unused Westinghouse valve here (also without success) if anyone wants to try one.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondekker View Post
    Those findings are rather interesting.

I too have a 25R modified by Glenn to use a 12BH7 in the line stage which has been up for sale here and elsewhere for around 3 months without success. Glenn originally fitted an unbranded 12BH7 and when I decided I'd like to try a different version I picked up that Glenn rather liked Westinghouse versions.

I bought a pair of NOS 1958 black plate D getter valves and fitted one in the 25R. The results were very positive in comparison with the unbranded version it replaced, however, I have never tried any other versions of the 12BH7 and so my own experiences are rather limited.

I have also been advertising the other unused Westinghouse valve here (also without success) if anyone wants to try one.
    Hi John, I will have it. Sent you a PM.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Jez.

Bear in mind folks that when "tube rolling" all is not as it may seem.... Whilst there are undoubtedly differences in the sound of valves of the same type but different make etc, much will also be due to the way that a specific sample reacts to the circuitry around it! A given stage of an amplifier may exhibit lets say 0.05% distortion with one sample of valve but a different sample may result in 0.5% distortion and the distortion may be of a different blend of odd and even harmonics to the first one. Hence sound will be different.
    Although mainly irrelevant to most users, changing say the cathode resistor value to suit a particular sample of valve may totally change the measured performance and sound of the stage
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Ralph.

I built a phono stage based on the 834P but with Thorsten's mods which includes using an ECC82 for the output buffer stage instead of the usual ECC83. After reading through this thread I'm wondering if a 12BH7 would offer any improvement over the ECC82?
    Ralph.

I'm Panos.

Ralph,
    I have no knowledge on circuit design. However, from experience, what I can say is that the 12BH7A is cleaner, more robust (with more body) and smoother sounding valve than the ECC82. And it seems that there is a general consensus in favor of the 12BH7A.

You just have to take note that from what I've read the 12BH7A draws twice as much current that the ECC82, so that should be probably taken into account if you are considering a swap.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    I built a phono stage based on the 834P but with Thorsten's mods which includes using an ECC82 for the output buffer stage instead of the usual ECC83. After reading through this thread I'm wondering if a 12BH7 would offer any improvement over the ECC82?
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Ralph.

Thanks Panos. The transformer in my phono stage has a 4 amp heater winding so will be fine. If I have a 12BH7 in my valve collection I'll give it a go.
    Ralph.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    Thanks Panos. The transformer in my phono stage has a 4 amp heater winding so will be fine. If I have a 12BH7 in my valve collection I'll give it a go.
    Ralph, it will be interesting to hear about your findings, once you've tried a 12BH7A (or more).
    Last edited by pankon; 01-10-2016 at 20:12.

I'm ahto.

I'm very happy with NOS (1950s I think) black plate Tung-Sols in my overhauled (2015) Mega Micro II & similar age Sylvanias in the 7R monos. I was told by Glenn Croft to go for US 12bh7a-s.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by eksiil View Post
    I'm very happy with NOS (1950s I think) black plate Tung-Sols in my overhauled (2015) Mega Micro II & similar age Sylvanias in the 7R monos. I was told by Glenn Croft to go for US 12bh7a-s.
    Hi ahto,
    thanks for your input. Would it be too much to ask for a few photos of the valves you have installed, if that's not too difficult? What's the color of the Sylvania marking?

I'll PM you yo ask something else as well.

Thanks
    Panos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast