+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12BH7A valve. Impressions? Insights?

I'm Justin.

Actually I may have some 12BH7A somewhere if anyone is interested give me a shout but it'll just be at market rates.

I'm Jez.

ECC82 does have a bad reputation sound quality wise.... no matter what make
    Funnily enough I've not found NOS to be unequivocally better in small signal valves. More that particular circuits seem to sound better with certain valves, whether NOS or modern Russian.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

Above are some valves I sold with my Air Tight ATM2. So I did a few as you can see.
    That's a pretty interesting collection of valves.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

Above are some valves I sold with my Air Tight ATM2. So I did a few as you can see.

I reckon the best were the RCA long black plates from 1966 right next to the white boxes on the right.

Top left mid-70s Mexican RCA are good but not as good.

The black plates really are close to black with a kind of glossy sheen to them.

The Zaerix branded ones where also pretty damned OK I see to remember.
    You wouldn't happen to have any RCA 12BH7a valves you want to sell Justin?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    That's a pretty interesting collection of valves.
    The RCA clear tops looked cool but sonically they were a disaster in said amp. But yeah, I went a bit 12BH7A crazy... It was an xxpensive amp - need to get the best out of it.

Expensive though they are it got systematically trashed by the Austria Analogue 211 based monos I got aftwerwards.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have any RCA 12BH7a valves you want to sell Justin?
    I'll have a look this weekend James. Got a big bag of allsorts I looked at a few months ago and I am sure there is something 12BH7A in there - maybe not RCA though. I'll PM you with what I find.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

ECC82's not much sonic cop? Not sure I can agree with that one, but my own first Croft came with beefed up CV mil spec versions so I stuck to those with the current one. Aren't the gains slightly different too - ECC82's and 12BH7's? Since the preamps have slightly too high output for their power amps (volume controls squashed to the first third of their rotation from minimum for a loud playback volume), I'd have considered a lower gain line-stage valve a blessing, so you could use far more of the volume control without being deafened with it set less way than half way up.

I thought the 12BH7 had more demanding characteristics and wasn't entirely suitable for some preamps with simpler power supplies set up for the ECC82. Oh to really know what I'm on about here and a shame Glenn won't waste his time chatting on audio forums...

To gauge why he uses the valves he does in a particular design. I think you only need to email him and you'll get a polite and considered reply in return. He knows his designs backwards and will give chapter and verse if necessary I reckon
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi All,
    I have a small stock of original, boxed [orange and black] Brimar, Black plate 12BH7's.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    ECC82's not much sonic cop? Not sure I can agree with that one, but my own first Croft came with beefed up CV mil spec versions so I stuck to those with the current one. Aren't the gains slightly different too - ECC82's and 12BH7's? Since the preamps have slightly too high output for their power amps (volume controls squashed to the first third of their rotation from minimum for a loud playback volume), I'd have considered a lower gain line-stage valve a blessing, so you could use far more of the volume control without being deafened with it set less way than half way up.

I thought the 12BH7 had more demanding characteristics and wasn't entirely suitable for some preamps with simpler power supplies set up for the ECC82. Oh to really know what I'm on about here and a shame Glenn won't waste his time chatting on audio forums...

To gauge why he uses the valves he does in a particular design. I think you only need to email him and you'll get a polite and considered reply in return. He knows his designs backwards and will give chapter and verse if necessary I reckon
    That's what the general consensus is but it will probably vary with use.... and all too often things are "the general consensus" on fora without there being even a jot of truth to it!

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    That's what the general consensus is but it will probably vary with use.... and all too often things are "the general consensus" on fora without there being even a jot of truth to it!
    My personal, short experience with a 12BH7A (Sylvania with green lettering) is that is sounds fuller and more refined than the 12AU7 (or ECC82). I cannot compare detail reproduction, as my 12BH7A was seriously hampered by treble roll-off, so any deduction may not be reliable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast