+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12BH7A valve. Impressions? Insights?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Panos.

Default 12BH7A valve. Are they any good? Impressions? Insights?

I came across the 12BH7A valve for the first time, when I recently received my upgraded Croft Micro25R preamp (used in the line stage) and my Croft Series7R monoblocks.

Unfortunately the Sylvania 12BH7A (green lettering) of my preamp had a serious deficiency in the treble (roll-off), that led me to believe that it must have obviously been a faulty one. Currently I am using a Philips 12AU7 instead, which is quite good, but does not have such a full body in comparison to the 12BH7A. So I am looking for a substitute 12BH7A NOS valve to do justice to my Croft preamp.

Anyone with experience with 12BH7A valves? Which models are worth going for? Where could I find a good source for such valves? Is there perhaps a compatible substitute for 12BH7A valves, that is also worth considering?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Cheers,
    Panos
    Last edited by pankon; 01-03-2016 at 18:50.

I'm Oliver.

Hi Panos,
    I currently use a NOS Sylvania 12BH7A (yellow writing) in my 25, no problems with reduced treble, and prefer it to NOS Mullard, new issue Genalex ECC82, and supplied Sylvania 5814WA. I would say that the differences between these valves were not "night & day" but I felt that the 12BH7A gave a tad more depth, and a slightly more robust (firmer in the bass) sound.

When I asked my Croft dealer if the 12BH7A would be ok in my non regulated 25, & about the general sound of the different brands, his answer was "Tungsol warmest, GE brightest and Sylvania in middle", so I went for the Sylvania.

Having said this, I could happily live with any of the above valves, as none of them made the pre sound bad

Good luck tube rolling
    Oliver

I'm Panos.

Hi Oliver,

thanks for your input. You said your pre is a Micro25, not a Micro25R. In its previous guise (before the upgrade), my Micro25 used to have an ECC82 valve for the line stage, not a 12BH7A.

In any case, my limited impression with the Sylvania 12BH7A is that it definitely has a 'bigger' sound, perhaps even sweeter than an ECC82 (or 12AU7).

Glenn Croft said that Tung Sol and RCA 12BH7A are good.

I have found a rather inexpensive version (obviously not NOS), which is https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/T-12BH7A-TAD. I may perhaps give it a try...

I'm Oliver.

[QUOTE=pankon;735919]Hi Oliver,

thanks for your input. You said your pre is a Micro25, not a Micro25R. In its previous guise (before the upgrade), my Micro25 used to have an ECC82 valve for the line stage, not a 12BH7A.

Yes, my pre is not the 25R, but was told that the extra current requirements of the 12BH7A would not be a problem in my pre.
    I intend getting mine upgraded to "R" status later this year, & I will ask Glenn to configure the linestage for a 12BH7A (as suggested by Jimbo in a previous thread).

I'm Justin.

Above are some valves I sold with my Air Tight ATM2. So I did a few as you can see.

I reckon the best were the RCA long black plates from 1966 right next to the white boxes on the right.

Top left mid-70s Mexican RCA are good but not as good.

The black plates really are close to black with a kind of glossy sheen to them.

The Zaerix branded ones where also pretty damned OK I see to remember.

I'm Justin.

Actually I may have some 12BH7A somewhere if anyone is interested give me a shout but it'll just be at market rates.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

Above are some valves I sold with my Air Tight ATM2. So I did a few as you can see.
    That's a pretty interesting collection of valves.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

I reckon the best were the RCA long black plates from 1966 right next to the white boxes on the right.

Top left mid-70s Mexican RCA are good but not as good.

The black plates really are close to black with a kind of glossy sheen to them.

The Zaerix branded ones where also pretty damned OK I see to remember.
    You wouldn't happen to have any RCA 12BH7a valves you want to sell Justin?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

I have a NOS Tung-sol 12BH7a on the way for my 25R+ line stage which will replace the RCA valve I have in there at the moment.

Will be interesting to hear the difference!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have a NOS Tung-sol 12BH7a on the way for my 25R+ line stage which will replace the RCA valve I have in there at the moment.

Will be interesting to hear the difference!
    James, I would definitely be interested in hearing your impression. Have you tried any other 12BH7A apart from the NOS RCA? Is there a particular reason you would like to change to Tung-Sol?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast