Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVA LS5

I'm Shaun.

Default NVA LS5

OK, so, two weeks ago I installed a Samson Servo 600 studio monitoring amplifier into my system to replace my old Rotel’s. At the same time, I connected up some cheap and cheerful Maplin copper braided loudspeaker cable as a biwired, stereo pair. Today, just out of curiosity, I reconnected up my more usual NVA LS5 loudspeaker cables in single wire mode. The difference was staggering.

The first and most obvious difference was that the whole sound was louder. The next huge difference was the stereo imaging which was now coming from 90 degrees left and right to my sitting position. The treble is now extremely incisive with masses of detail and I am a very happy old Hector.

Demo CD was the Chemical Brothers ‘Born in the Echoes’

Not much of a review but then not a great deal to add.

I'm Josie.

It's good cable is LS5. Have you tried Van Damme? - I was astonished with that stuff.

You have superb taste in music, Born in Echo's is a magnificent album... I love The Chemical Brothers, big followers of them since Dig your own Hole. Have you heard 'Hannah' soundtrack? That's really good... I really like 'Further' too!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    It's good cable is LS5. Have you tried Van Damme? - I was astonished with that stuff.

You have superb taste in music, Born in Echo's is a magnificent album... I love The Chemical Brothers, big followers of them since Dig your own Hole. Have you heard 'Hannah' soundtrack? That's really good... I really like 'Further' too!
    Josie, no, I haven't heard said music by them. I have a lot of their early stuff on vinyl but to be honest I would like to replace it all with CD. I bought 'Born In The Echoes' on vinyl and then bought it again on CD as the vinyl is way to polite for my liking. With that in mind, I can't wait to have a listen to 'Block Rockin Beats' through the Samson. Their music is just so bloody awesome. I love the way it permanently picks a fight with your Hi-Fi every time you play it.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I bought my loan set of LS5 because it was so good! It's a pity I can't use it in the main system cause it's two thickish conductors, it's black and it wouldn't go under the carpet and I don't wish to start carving up underlay right now..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shaun.

By the way, I am still absolutely staggered by the increase in the wideness of the stereo image which really does show off how good this Samson amplifier actually is. OK so the sound is not as 'Hi-Fi' as it was with my Rotels but one thing I do not want with electronica is politeness. I have this issue with vinyl versus CD. My vinyl setup is just way too polite.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I bought my loan set of LS5 because it was so good! It's a pity I can't use it in the main system cause it's two thickish conductors, it's black and it wouldn't go under the carpet and I don't wish to start carving up underlay right now..
    Yes David, damn fine stuff but certainly would not go under a carpet.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Josie, no, I haven't heard said music by them. I have a lot of their early stuff on vinyl but to be honest I would like to replace it all with CD. I bought 'Born In The Echoes' on vinyl and then bought it again on CD as the vinyl is way to polite for my liking. With that in mind, I can't wait to have a listen to 'Block Rockin Beats' through the Samson. Their music is just so bloody awesome. I love the way it permanently picks a fight with your Hi-Fi every time you play it.
    LOL... that's ace!. Never heard of it that way... and your right, it does.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 28-02-2016 at 09:44.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Rich.

I love LS5 with my Rega RS5 speakers. Mine is made up for biwire with a single load at the amplifier end but split into fat and thin legs for my LF/HF at the speaker end.

It is horrible to hide and route discretly though. This compromise to tidiness is worth it for all the lovely bass it gets out of my speakers. There was just more of compared to single wire with the Rega jumper plates. I know DSJR isn't a fan of these speakers but those who have heard my system have commented on how well balanced they sound, the tweeter can be a bit exuberant and LS5 seems to add a bit more control to things overall.

In summary, great cable. Ugly as sin, but worth it the visual compromise to me. It's a keeper.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post

Oh yes. The Hannah soundtrack sounds wonderful. A great test for any system.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Martin.

Rich - when you demmed your all Rega system at NEBO (5?) were you using the LS5 then?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast