+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "it was, you know, like"

I'm Rob.

Default "it was, you know, like"

"it was like, he said...."

What is it with all this stupid teen speak, seemingly more prevalent with those who should know better after daddy has spent a fortune on a private education.

Everywhere I go I hear these banal conversations, well it was like he said...., Well did he say it or not. If it was like he said it, then he probably said nothing like it.

"can I get like a skinny Cappucino". Sorry, what would you like that is like a Cappucino
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm David.

the worst thing about travelling on busses, or indeed watching bbc3
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Steve.

I still maintain there are enough good, genuine young people out there to keep our nation going. The idiots are still in the minority, but they stand out more so it looks like they are taking over!

The coffee one is a killer... just buy a 'kin coffee and get out of my way you pathetic pretentious metro sexual waste of skin! why can't people just drink normal coffee any more? lol
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm David.

i still dont know wtf-in hell the point of decaf coffee... its like f-ing alcohol free beer ... pointless
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm notAlone.

As light moves faster than sound, I can see the stupid before I can hear them, so I can gracefully avoid them.

(I am probably OOT, here...)
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Martin.

I find it amusing more than anything/ Go to the U.S and until you adjust to speaking 'American' it can be quite disturbing.

' A black coffe please' - will elicit a blank stare from any waitress not used to dealing with 'foreign' clientel ( i.e almost all waitresses you encounter).

The correct (sic) approach is 'can I get a black coffee please'; which will always result in the almost instantaneous production of a cup of steaming black liquid guaranteed to give you heart palpitations before you've drunk even half of it...

I once went into a shop in San Diego that was roughly six foot by six and sold nothing but cigarettes and cigars. Not thinking I instinctively asked for '20 Malboro please, mate.'

Nothing. Not a flicker of recognition. I might as well have asked for a 'plasma rifle in the 40 watt range'.

Instantly realising my mistake I followed up with 'can I get a pack of Marlboro?'

Voila! The requisite pack of cigarettes was produced instantly and with a commendable economy of effort.

Its a funny thing, language...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

You should have said "can I get, like a pack of Marlboro" you might then have got the plasma rifle!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    You should have said "can I get, like a pack of Marlboro" you might then have got the plasma rifle!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Rob.

What these kids don't realise is that their conversations, when analysed are meaningless.

Bollocks. It looks like despite sounding ridiculous it is regarded as a proper usage!!!

As an adverb
    Like can be used as an adverb meaning "nearly" or to indicate that the phrase in which it appears is to be taken metaphorically or as a hyperbole. Examples:

I, like, died!
    They, like, hate you!
    [edit] As a quotative
    Like is sometimes used as a quotative to introduce a quotation or impersonation. In this usage, like functions in conjunction with a verb, generally be (but also say, think, etc.), as in the following examples:

She was like, "oh my gosh no way!"
    He was like, "I'll be there in five minutes."
    He was like "you need to leave the room right now!"
    Like can also be used to paraphrase an implicitly unspoken idea or sentiment:

I was like, "who do they think they are?"
    It is also sometimes used to introduce non-verbal mimetic performances, e.g., facial expressions, hand gestures, body movement, as well as sounds and noises:

I was like [speaker rolls eyes].
    The car was like, "Vroom"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast