+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Vinyl. All analogue Hifi Show

I'm Guy.

Default Still Vinyl. All analogue Hifi Show

Off to Lisbon tomorrow (with Conrad from Avid) for an all analogue HiFi show. CD players & other digital sources are banned!

http://translate.google.com/translat...3D3540.0%3Ball

Ought to be an interesting weekend. Will take some pics

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Wonder how many of the pressings played will be from digital master tapes?????
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Guy.

It's a good point! I'll have to point it out if necessary. At least they may not have been shoehorned down to 16/44.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sounds interesting! Have a nice trip, and yes, do take plenty of pics to include in your write-up when you get back home

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

To be honest the idea of an analogue only show is a total waste of time IMO, and is pandering to the whims of an elitist analogue only hifi hardcore.

I can imagine that there will be lots of lovely sound on the day.

Fact of the matter is that digital source is here to stay, and that source is more likely to be obtained in the form of a download.

To exclude digital sources is akin to the proverbial ostrich burying its' head in the sand.

Chris

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    To be honest the idea of an analogue only show is a total waste of time IMO, and is pandering to the whims of an elitist analogue only hifi hardcore.

I can imagine that there will be lots of lovely sound on the day.

Fact of the matter is that digital source is here to stay, and that source is more likely to be obtained in the form of a download.

To exclude digital sources is akin to the proverbial ostrich burying its' head in the sand.

Chris
    Hmmm, I'm not sure I agree with everything you've just said but I do agree that digital is here to stay in the same way that digital cameras are here to stay even though they are so inferior to silver based technology. No digital camera for a very long time is going to come anywhere near a Wista Field Camera loaded with Ilford FP4+. Somehow I doubt that a digital Hi-Fi source is going to get anywhere near a Nottingham Analogue Dais loaded up with a stunning arm and cartridge. What I do think is that we have to develop a sense of forgiving for each others technology. They are all here to stay.

Smile

Great idea! When can we have one in Swindon??

Regards

Dave

I'm Ralph.

Hope they are only using LPs mastered before the 80's, that is prior to computer controlled cutting lathes became industry standard

I'm Guy.

An interesting event. Portugal does have normal HiFi shows too but this Forum organised event was specifically for people who enjoy collecting & playing vinyl records. there's nothing wrong or elitist about that. I'm sure everyone there also uses other sources when necessary.

On saturday morning before the show began, we took the open top bus tour of Lisbon. It seems a very nice place to live & 70 degrees at the end of October is quite pleasant aswell.

The Tiara Hotel where the show took place

Downtown in their 'Ramblas' equivalent. the pavements comprise what are really black & white mosaics.

The elevador, a 1902 lift that takes people to a higher part of the town. All cast iron.

One of many attractive squares

Suspension bridge by the same company that who built the Golden Gate. this looked very similar.

the tower of Belem. 500 or so years old. Some very north African influences

And so to the show.

The organisers had managed to borrow some pieces from the museum of the Portuguese national Radio station and then added to this with some turntables of the forum members

EMT 930 and Thorens 124 with Ortofon arm & A type spu

EMT 950 & 938

Close up of the 930

Various others gathered together. Jerry will recognise this one!

I must look out for one of these. Funky little thing.

another EMT, the 948

Nice 301 & 3012

Another one that appears to share some PL71 DNA

The original suspended subchassis... AR XA

The mighty soundburger

More of the show systems to follow...
    Last edited by pure sound; 01-11-2009 at 17:53.

I'm Guy.

Ok, so there were then 9 or 10 distributors/dealers playing vinyl based systems. While they varied in terms of quality, all were enjoyable and none had me running from the room. Some were almost too smooth!

I'll just include pictures of decks & other pieces we might not normally see in the UK.

Portugal has its own high end tt manufacturer by the name of Rui Borges. He had three models there which were progressions of the same high mass theme. Here are the two bigger models, the second with its additional offboard flywheel system, superbly crazy!

The Bergmann from Scandinavia in a room with Nagra electronics & some very tall speakers with hundreds of inline drivers. I was more taken by the attractive wooden cylindrical sub-woofers.

A room featuring the top Kuzma XL tt, electronics by Karan and some German Accento (?) loudspeakers.

A Basis

The new stretched Model 30 with V-12 arm

Oracle are back! I believe Mr C is quite taken with the latest version

Our set-up with the Avid Acutus at the front end.

A smaller system with the Diva II at the front.

A Sonus Faber I hadn't previously seen

And some unusual looking drivers from the late Jim Thiel.

The show seemed very well attended given that it was organised mainly by a forum. There's obviously still some enthusiasm for vinyl over there & the record sellers looked to be doing good business. I was glad of the opportunity to go and to visit Lisbon. There are some mean steak restaurants and very fine pastry makers there too.

It's well worth visiting even without a show to look at & away from high summer it's warm but not too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast