+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Arkless MC head amp.

I'm Alex.

Default The Arkless MC head amp.

I have never written any sort of review for any type of product or service before, therefore I apologise in advance for the lack of structure of these sentences. Nor am I very good at describing exactly what it is which I hear; I simply know what I like. I do though, kind of feel compelled to try and compose something about that which I now have sitting in my system.

Firstly, I'll try and explain how I ended up with this head amp. Like many of you I rely on other peoples opinions and recommendations regarding which kit I buy to try in my system; I don't think I've bought a brand new piece of hifi equipment in over 10 years, hence demonstrating before buying is nigh on impossible. After all my research, I had pretty much decided that a Hashimoto based SUT was the way forward for me. These transformers are heaped in praise on every single post or review I read about them, not only that, the adjectives used match perfectly with my listening tastes. With SUT's decided on, I posted in this forum to see if anyone would kindly loan me something similar before I went ahead and spent a few hundred quid on a couple of transformers, this before trying to stumble my way through wiring diagrams and relearning how to solder so I could install them in a box and use as intended. The kind gent that is paule offered to loan me his extremely well reviewed Choir Audio SUT-H7.

In the meantime I was speaking to Jez by pm regarding his one off MC head amp which he advertised for sale here. He agreed to let me loan the unit to try with the prospective to buy. I got my hands on the Choir Audio unit first and installed it in my system. I was AMAZED. This unit completed (until the next upgrade of course ) my vinyl system. I was there. Made it. At last. Everything I had read about the Hashimoto's was perfectly true, 'organic' was a word I often read regarding the noises produced with them in a vinyl system, I now know exactly what was meant by this.

After a short while I felt slightly bad as I knew Jez had already sent out his head amp and there's no way it could compete with this H7 based SUT.

Turns out I was wrong. Jez's head amp is absolutely superb. Firstly the bass is just so impressive, my speakers surprised me at the depth of bass they were now producing. The attack of the bass and the mid range is mightily impressive. My dogs aren't keen mind. Notes stop and start ferociously and the amount of detail retrieved is unreal. With all of the above and more the music presented is just so enjoyable and exciting. I sit, smile and tap my foot. My girlfriend commented that my stereo now sounds more like you're there at the gig. That she has an opinion at all says a lot in itself. I absolutely love this thing! I fully expected to need to try the head amp for a fair amount of time before making my decision but I just didn't need to. It works perfectly well in my sytem and I feel very lucky that I managed to claim it before anyone else snapped it up.

My system is:-
    Technics 1210. MN bearing. Timestep PSU. VA platter. Micro Seiki MA-202. AT 33PTG.
    Croft 25R
    Sugden A21aP
    B&W 805N

I'm Jez.

Thanks for the great review Alex! I'm glad it found a good home.

A small but sonically important mod was made to it after Marco and Ali tried and loved it so it should be something really special now

A budget head amp will be available for trial very shortly Check out the thread at my trade section folks....

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Excellent stuff, Alex. Glad it's hitting the spot. It is indeed a really nice sounding piece of kit

However, even although it's not exactly a 'looker' (that's wasn't the point), some pics of stuff being reviewed, and in this instance Jez's head amp, is always appreciated!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep, good bit of kit this, sounded great in my system.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Kevin.

I am gutted the timing was not right for me, but I am glad that it has found a worthy home and is no being used instead of being sat in a cupboard.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Simon.

Is that the wheels of a modest production run i hear starting to turn...
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Could you post some pics of the head amp, Alex?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alex.

I will do; at work at the minute and have the joy of buying the internals of a wardrobe this evening but I will when I get chance. Promise.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Is that the wheels of a modest production run i hear starting to turn...
    A budget head amp will available in days (would have been a day ago but other stuff needed doing) Strangely, although SUT's at £1200+ seem to sell, there appears to be no demand for a head amp at £800 that will beat them

Pending further positive feedback on the unit, a PCB will be designed for the hybrid phono stage and a "production demonstrator" will be made of which an identical one can be ordered (the exact spec to which to make these is still rather in the air... It will be a high end ish design but whether to try and do it for £1500 or so or fling everything at it and make something at around £3000 designed to take on the competition at say £6K is the big question). A discrete SS MC only phono stage at a lower price (say £800 for now) and built on Paradise concept of zero feedback transimpedance amp is also on the cards as is a "budget" op-amp based phono stage, MM and MC at around £400. A VFM headphone amp will also follow (not the high end single ended class A one already prototyped)

Them's the plans folks...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm confused - is the headamp reviewed by Alex the same as that auditioned by Marco and Ali, and is the one proposed to sell for £180?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast