+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Tannoy GRF's ;)

I'm Steve.

Default DIY Tannoy GRF's ;)

Started my project - having heard a pals 18mm birch plywood ones (I should coco) I wanted some.
    Firstly how would the HPD's stack up against the Golds I had heard in Mr coco's cabs?
    Mr Coco helped with a calc program.
    21mm would probably be better so that was that + 24mm for the front panel for good measure.

HPD's

Monitor golds

So all well and good on paper

Now for some specs and cutting sheets.

[URL=http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2742211320071997495NoidAf][/

Avon plywood did the business. Arrived in the week.
    All nicely machined to 0.2mm and the mitres are perfect.

They weigh in at er 55kgs each without drivers :gulp!

Will keep you updated on the progress.

Hope to have them ready in a couple of weeks (glue, screw etc)
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 25-10-2009 at 21:24. Reason: added direct link pics
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Steve.

Excellent Steve, i look forward to seeing the end result! nothing quite as satisfying as listening to something you put together yourself.

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm ILOB.

Good work Steve keep us posted with lots of Pictures
    Ps there is something magical about big drivers!
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What a superb project, Steve! Best of luck with it mate and keep us updated (as I know you will) with reports and pictures as you go through your journey

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Default Update - build started

Loft finished the GRF's got some attention this weekend.

Lining it up

Driver mounting plate

Front panel in

Castors from wardrode

A few more evenings and the first one will be ready
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

excelent workmanship steve,
    well done so far, looking forward to the finnished article.
    regards,anthony,TD...

I'm Steve.

Here is how they will look (minus the hand) re-using the Berkeley's cover.
    Quite like the dark Tannoy brown against the lighter wood (will be more mellow once vanished / polyurethaned)

I'm Steve.

The 2nd one is coming along now. Had to start it as I am waiting for the felt to arrive - easiest to line the internal baffles without them all in.
    Spending about 2-3hr per evening and weekends they are coming along apace.

I'm Steve.

Starting to look like something

The one on the right is rubbed down and two thin coats of polyurethane

They are now named Bertha & Big Bob by the family?!

I am now waiting for the felt to arrive so have had time to cut the slots for the crossover panels and put the terminal posts on the backs.

Just 3 internal horn baffle and 2 reflector pieces in each speaker to go and transplanting the drivers etc over.
    If I get the felt in time I reckon they will be playing on Sunday!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

Very nice work, mate!

Somehow I think that these are going to hit the spot for you nicely

Wotcha putting in them - Reds or Golds?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast