+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SD Acoustics SD1 With Quad 303?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Use rubber surrounds, foam rots, hence the silliness of re-foaming because in 12-15 months
    you are likely just to have to do it all again. Rubber surrounds, last a lot longer. .....

Jerry at post #3 from the wam site " I was a bit concerned about possible foam rot on the drivers, but when I arrived to pick them up the surrounds looked pristine. Yup, the seller confirmed, newly done - should be good for another 15-20 years! I was mighty pleased with that."

Foam would not last 15-20 years, so likely rubber was used. Perhaps Jerry can confirm
    Yes, mine had been redone with rubber.

It seemed to work and sound fine, but I hadn't heard them when the original foam was intact so I can't say if the sound was degraded.

Must admit that a re-foam needed every 12-15 months doesn't sound realistic. I'd expect many years before foam rot set in again.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yes, mine had been redone with rubber.

It seemed to work and sound fine, but I hadn't heard them when the original foam was intact so I can't say if the sound was degraded.

Must admit that a re-foam needed every 12-15 months doesn't sound realistic. I'd expect many years before foam rot set in again.

Here is a site doing re-foaming http://www.audioimprov.com/AudioImpr...m_Speaker.html
    Their own words are " The use of foam surrounds for speakers started in the 1970s. Foam has advantages for performance, but it hardens and cracks after a few years. "

Rubber, yes also eventually deteriorates, with heavy emphasis on eventually, I would estimate 40 years.

Certainly with AR, the original material was cloth, and these last and last. I have a pair of 1970 AR6's
    still working- that's 46 years. In fact I have never seen damage to a cloth surround AR.

Cheers / Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123