+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading today!

I'm Geoff.

Last weekend, I finished reading 'The Sirens of Titan' by Kurt Vonnegut. It's a bit daft and entirely implausible, but I enjoyed it all the same .

Then the other day, I started on 'Not Dead Enough' by Peter James. I hated it, trying to be slick and contemporary and obviously working to formula. Managed about thirty pages and gave up. It should go back to being pulp.

A couple of days ago I began on Ross Macdonald's 'The Goodbye Look'. This is a great crime thriller in typical American style, up there with Raymond Chandler.

Last edited by walpurgis; 13-05-2022 at 13:30. Reason: typo
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian was bestselling author Marina Lewycka's bestselling debut novel which has sold over one million copies worldwide. Lewycka tells the side-splittingly funny story of two feuding sisters, Vera and Nadezhda, who join forces against their father's new, gold-digging girlfriend.

Two years after my mother died, my father fell in love with a glamorous blonde Ukrainian divorcée. He was eighty-four and she was thirty-six. She exploded into our lives like a fluffy pink grenade, churning up the murky water, bringing to the surface a sludge of sloughed-off memories, giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside.

Sisters Vera and Nadezhda must aside a lifetime of feuding to save their émigré engineer father from voluptuous gold-digger Valentina. With her proclivity for green satin underwear and boil-in-the-bag cuisine, she will stop at nothing in her pursuit of Western wealth.

But the sisters' campaign to oust Valentina unearths family secrets, uncovers fifty years of Europe's darkest history and sends them back to roots they'd much rather forget . . . .

ISBN-13:978-0-141-02052-5

ISBN-10:0-141-02502-0

Borrowed it from our local library years ago (2007). Enjoyed it, and thought I would read it again, after finding a copy in a charity shop.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I really ought to read something more meaningful. I have a fair collection of books going back nearly 300 years in age for the oldest.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Fatherland by Robert Harris

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Anto.

Today I was bored ,as I hadnt loaded a Kindle book for a while as the last 2 were meeeh (cant recall the titles atm )

So as I passed my old bookshelf ,I reverted to a hard copy choice ,and revisited Craig Thomas's - Firefox Down

Proper entertainment ,even though its probably 20-30 yrs since I last read it
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post

Is it gripping Grant ??
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Is it gripping Grant ??
    not read much yet as i havent been out in car(audio book)
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I just finished re-reading Tom Sharpe's 'Indecent Exposure', which was fun.

Now I'm a few chapters into Kurt Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse Five', I just love Vonnegut's somewhat absurdist writing, it's very different!

(I've just ordered a copy of his 'Deadeye Dick', hope that meets expectations)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post

I read that years ago, it's a bit like Len Deighton's 'SS-GB' in that the premise is interesting but the execution is poor.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I just finished re-reading Tom Sharpe's 'Indecent Exposure', which was fun.

Now I'm a few chapters into Kurt Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse Five', I just love Vonnegut's somewhat absurdist writing, it's very different!

(I've just ordered a copy of his 'Deadeye Dick', hope that meets expectations)
    ive got the film of that
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast