+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading today!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I hate reading masses of text from a screen. At work I would always print off large quantities of text - so much for the 'paperless office'! The same with e-books: I just love the physicality of paper books, just I love the physicality of records and CDs.

So sorry, not for me.
    The latest kindles are pretty easy to read on and on the eye is like paper, hence the name lol Its a big step up on my last one. has an adaptive light and the thing is very light to hold. battery is great too and only needs occasional charging. Must get rest of the books \ive got out of loft though. maybe get shot of em... theres a nice Tennyson, and a full set of old Burns ones too. put them up there a long time ago and been there since. may even be worth a couple of quid.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I agree Grant my new Paperwhite is really easy on the eye

To me the 'feel' of books/pages is like scratching your fingernails down a chalk board
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I agree Grant my new Paperwhite is really easy on the eye

To me the 'feel' of books/pages is like scratching your fingernails down a chalk board
    lol.. yes, I liked the white so tried it for change. It brightens up the day compared to the old black ones I think. I was stubborn initially to go down this route, and thought a book needed to be a book. But I tried, I liked, I converted.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I just love the physicality of paper books, just I love the physicality of records and CDs.
    Same here. We've got thousands of the things. We're about to have our old boiler that sits in an alcove in the breakfast room removed. What to fill the space with? Bookshelves of course!

I'm Grant.

Next up will be

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    lol.. yes, I liked the white so tried it for change. It brightens up the day compared to the old black ones I think. I was stubborn initially to go down this route, and thought a book needed to be a book. But I tried, I liked, I converted.
    Yes I'm a convert as well

I've got a couple of guitar books to go through as well on the Kindle

I have Amazon Prime at the moment so I can also 'borrow' a free book each month as well... never had so much reading material..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Steve.

I take a bit of an all-over view of music and literature.

To me, rediscovering truth is what it's all about. I like the idea of an inner stillness in a crazy loud world. I was fascinated by this article about The Blue Nile:
    https://thegoldenyear.wordpress.com/...owntownlights/

But I can heartily recommend this RTE documentary about Paul Buchanan and his band:
    https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/i...-the-blue-nile

Apologies that this is not exactly about books I have read lately. And I'm currently reading Bill Bryson, as it goes. But I suspect that Struth will enjoy the RTE link.

I'm Steve.

OK, I stretched you more into poetry with The Blue Nile there than literature , but I would claim they are much the same thing.

How do I know you feel it?
    How do I know it's true?

Yeah, yeah, the downtown lights

The neon's and the cigarettes
    Rented rooms and rented cars
    The crowded streets, the empty bars
    Chimney tops and trumpets

The golden lights, the loving prayers
    The colored shoes, the empty trains
    I'm tired of crying on the stairs
    The downtown lights
    Yeah, yeah
    Which is pretty much the Film Noir idea of the heartless City.

I'm reading what is probably the biggest selling book in the World today. 30M ain't bad.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Kill_a_Mockingbird

It's still in the NY Times top 100 best-selling list after umpteen years. It's a knockout. It's about integrity and courage. It's about ignoring Racism. It's about ignoring Sexism. Harper Lee listed one of her hobbies in being alone. That's real courage, IMO.

I'm Grant.

Got the mockingbird book myself and film., awesome film by way.. harper lee is an odd bird and wasnt keen to let it out on kindle
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Just starting The Fourth Protocol by Fredrick Forsyth.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast