+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading today!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What am I reading? Well the latest issue of my favourite magazine: "Leatherclad Nuns".
    You will be whipped in hell lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

"I once fell in love with a nun, but she'd have "none" of it."

Which I think was a line from a "Carry-On" film.

Along with the "Carry-On" Hospital patient who told the Nurse that he'd dreamt about her last night.

"Did You?" she replied.

"No, you wouldn't let me!"

That old British humour brings me on to our adopted National Treasure, US import Bill Bryson. Who incidentally has written a giant oeuvre of stimulating books ranging from the Summer of 1927 in America (Babe Ruth and Al Capone and prohibition) to the Short History of Nearly Everything, which assured me that I am more likely to die from a Meteor impact than being run over by a Bus. Worth knowing if buying Insurance.

I just finished The Road to Little Dribbling.

A marvellous tour of contemporary Britain, as a sort of homage to his first tour 20 years ago. From England's dull Bognor Regis to wild Cape Wrath in Scotland. Which is the longest distance in Britain.

Along the way, I learned how ignorant most people are about basic facts about the World. Most people in the US couldn't place London on a map of the World, never mind their home city of Miami, where the survey was done:
    http://www.timgaiser.com/blog/why-geography-matters

And very dumb people have a vastly inflated opinion of their own ability:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

Which brings me to my enthusiasm for reading, which I find liberating. Why should I listen to all those MP's who have strong opinions about Brexit or Remain. I wonder if they could even place Brussels on a Map?

TBH, most Politicians would be more useful assigned to litter-picking duties along our lovely beaches.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I got a Kindle for Christmas so my first book will be The Hobbit

I don't like the 'feel' of books, the feel of the pages is something I loath so the Kindle will be the best for me as soon as I get round to using it

After the Hobbit I have downloaded a couple of guitar books which look good as well
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post

I don't like the 'feel' of books, the feel of the pages is something I loath so the Kindle will be the best for me as soon as I get round to using it

After the Hobbit I have downloaded a couple of guitar books which look good as well
    Hmm... The Hobbit was, of course, a child's book. Bilbo Baggins an' all that.

TBH, I did like its more mature successor, "The Lord of the Rings". Which I read on holiday one summer in Nice, France as a mere youth of 25 years.

Like most of you, it created in me a desire to collect ALL of the Rings, a bit like Trainspotting or London bus-number collecting. But, having matured over the years, I do now notice how weak Tolkien was in his female characters.

It's a boy's book, for sure, like that old classic series on TV, Star Trek. Women wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Too one-dimensional.

I really don't know why the "Feel" of real books should be an issue. My Mother, who is blind, would greatly benefit from a knowledge of Braille. And that is pure feel.

IMO, you should download St. Mark in the King James' Version. That's the best book ever written, IMO.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post

love my new kindle paperwhite. great for reading. I dont like using real books either now. Cant be doing with them. heavy, and awkward.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    love my new kindle paperwhite. great for reading. I dont like using real books either now. Cant be doing with them. heavy, and awkward.
    Isn't the choice of reading matter a bit limited? If for instance, I wanted to re-read 'The Overman Culture' by Edmund Cooper, could I find it?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Isn't the choice of reading matter a bit limited? If for instance, I wanted to re-read 'The Overman Culture' by Edmund Cooper, could I find it?
    Yes there is a kindle edition of that geoff. Its true that not everythingis on it but quite a lot is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Overman-Cul...verman+culture
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Did you read 'The Silent Boy' yet Grant?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Did you read 'The Silent Boy' yet Grant?
    Not bought it as yet Geoff. Still got a few to read as ive been lax in reading ..must catch up..one im on is at 96% so not much left
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I hate reading masses of text from a screen. At work I would always print off large quantities of text - so much for the 'paperless office'! The same with e-books: I just love the physicality of paper books, just I love the physicality of records and CDs.

So sorry, not for me.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast