+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading today!

I'm Grant.

Flashman and the great game..

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I must find another Flashman to read .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Halfway through 'Find You First' by Linwood Barclay, decent thriller this. A bit different, intelligently written and interesting characters, nothing overblown or implausible so far. I'll keep an eye out for more of his books.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

latest buy is this len deighton spy thriller..i hope lol

Last edited by struth; 24-09-2022 at 11:16.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    latest buy is this len deighton spt thriller..i hope lol
    I read many of Deighton's books, don't recall that one though. Decent writer.

I'm Grant.

another couple picked up today..

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Been reading the plays of J. B. Priestley. I particularly like 'An Inspector Calls', and can highly recommend the TV adaption starring David Thewlis as 'the inspector'.

Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Been reading the plays of J. B. Priestley. I particularly like 'An Inspector Calls', and can highly recommend the TV adaption starring David Thewlis as 'the inspector'.

oddly i recently bought this version in hd...not watched it yet, but hope its as good as the alistair sim original.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have seen the Alistair Sim original, and good though it is, I prefer the 2015 BBC version.

The portrayed status of the 'inspector' is more subtle - is he an avenging angel, a ghost made flesh, or some sort of ghoul (he is introduced as Inspector Goole)? In the Sim version he just vanishes from a side room, whereas in the Thewlis version he leaves the way he came in.

I would have loved to have seen the stage play with Ralph Richardson as the 'inspector'.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have seen the Alistair Sim original, and good though it is, I prefer the 2015 BBC version.

The portrayed status of the 'inspector' is more subtle - is he an avenging angel, a ghost made flesh, or some sort of ghoul (he is introduced as Inspector Goole)? In the Sim version he just vanishes from a side room, whereas in the Thewlis version he leaves the way he came in.

I would have loved to have seen the stage play with Ralph Richardson as the 'inspector'.
    priestly was fascinatd by circularity and as he said himself that the second detective was as important as the first, just as its setting just before ww1 and its release just after ww2 was to show how things will repeat if we dont learn from our, and others actions.
    only 2 of the younger ones learnt from it; the others(the establishment) didnt and quite frankly still hasn't. he was the ghoul of the establishments lax morals and their greed.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast