+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading today!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

As a big fan of both Allison and Shelby Lynne, this is a very powerful and moving book about their personal tragedy. First time she's really opened up about it.

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

Currently reading 'Tourist Season' by Carl Hiaasen. This is good fun, the plot and characters are a bit like the old Rockford Files TV series from years ago.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Jonas Jonasson
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Barry.

Default For the Crime Fiction Fans Among You...

The Coroners Lunch - Colin Cotterill, Set in 70s Laos. Extremely charming characters, especially the lead - Dr. Siri Paiboun, a reluctant coroner in his 70s.

Forty Words for Sorrow - Giles Blunt, Set in Northern Ontario, Canada. Well fleshed-out or humanized main characters with problems of their own.

A Simple Plan - Sam Smith, set in rural Ohio, United States. Classic tale of ignorance and greed with a palpable sense of the inevitable.

~all of these are a great vacation for the mind as they project a tactile sense of place. Enjoy.

Best,

Barry

I'm Andre.

Seen as i have plenty time on my hands ill finish this i started reading last month

I'm Geoff.

I finished reading this last night.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Anybody who thinks things are grim at the moment should read 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. It's the bleakest post-apocalyptic novel I've ever read. The nature of the apocalypse is undefined in the story, but its effects are depicted well.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The Decameron of Boccaccio

This book is structured as a frame story containing 100 tales told by a group of seven young women and three young men (hence the decameron of the title) sheltering in a secluded villa just outside Florence to escape the Black Death, which was afflicting the city.
    Boccaccio probably conceived of The Decameron after the epidemic of 1348, and wrote it somewhere between 1349 and 1353.

In the Introduction Boccaccio mentions the three ways in which the populace approached the epidemic:

Those that fled from the sick and thought to secure immunity for themselves,

Those that continued to mix and satisfy their appetites, and to scoff at whatever befell them considered it to be a certain remedy,

and the third group who isolated themselves:

Some there were who conceived that to live moderately and keep one’s self from all excess was the best defence against such a danger; wherefore, making up their company, they lived removed from every other and shut themselves up in those houses where none had been sick and where living was best: and there, using vary temperately of the most delicate viands and the finest wines and eschewing all incontinence, they abode with music and such other diversions as they might have, never suffering themselves to speak with any nor choosing to hear any news from without of death or sick folk.

Seems a perversely appropriate thing to read given the current situation.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I just tried reading 'Incompetence' by Rob Grant, which started off looking promising, but after a chapter or two, it became clear that he was just being a smartarse and working every line to death trying to look 'clever'. I'm sure he thinks he's wonderful, but it became wearing pretty quickly!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I just tried reading 'Incompetence' by Rob Grant, which started off looking promising, but after a chapter or two, it became clear that he was just being a smartarse and working every line to death trying to look 'clever'. I'm sure he thinks he's wonderful, but it became wearing pretty quickly!

so hes an incompetent then
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast