+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Royal Snail

I'm Kevin.

Default Royal Snail

Yesterday, a letter arrived at my parents house.
    Nothing unusual, except this was a letter I posted in August 1994 from France, to my sister.

So, where the hell has it been for the best part of 30 years?
    Unfortunately, it is about 60 years too early to be a Guinness record, but it is pretty shocking.

I wish I knew where it had been. The french postmarks are both from '94, and the Royal mail from Feb '24.

Nothing like efficiency.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Yesterday, a letter arrived at my parents house.
    Nothing unusual, except this was a letter I posted in August 1994 from France, to my sister.

So, where the hell has it been for the best part of 30 years?
    Unfortunately, it is about 60 years too early to be a Guinness record, but it is pretty shocking.

I wish I knew where it had been. The french postmarks are both from '94, and the Royal mail from Feb '24.

Nothing like efficiency.
    must have been in some postal dumping factory space i guess and got forgotten about.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

From the title of the thread, you make the assumption the delay was the fault of the Royal Mail.
    Just because it has a French postmark doesn’t necessarily mean it left France. Was it sent airmail?
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

It has two French post marks, so was processed correctly in France, and only one Royal Mail, even so, where has it been for thirty years?

Sorry, three french postmarks, all within a couple off days of each other, and then the next one is in the UK almost 30 years later, the day before delivery?
    Last edited by CageyH; 16-02-2024 at 10:36.
    Kevin

Did the two French post office marks show the same date?
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

Answered by my edit
    Kevin

I'm guy.

Catchy thread title But I agree with @Barry, it could be a problem with the French postal system - why would they post mark it three times?
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Kevin.

Why? Where it was received, the local sorting office, and then the international distribution centre.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

All French post marks from 1994.

So, let's blame the French?
    Kevin

It is probably as Grant has said: the letter was dropped somewhere.

I worked for the Royal Mail as a student during the Christmas holidays, both sorting and collecting the mail bags from the railway station.
    Regarding the latter, the bags were sealed and the seal was only opened and the bag emptied at the sorting office. Then the bags were turned inside out to make sure there were no letters left behind.

Likewise, it is possible that some letters may fall to the floor whilst sorting, but the premises are cleaned by closely observered cleaners, so should be recovered.

The only other explanation is that your letter fell out behind the pigeonhole for the onward postal district, and was not discovered until the entire rack was moved.

The Royal Mail here is still pretty good and efficient; it's just the high costs I resent.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast