+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just stepped into the Land of Oz...

I'm Gary.

Default Just stepped into the Land of Oz...

Joined Discogs

Helluva way to buy 2nd hand vinyl, what a great site.
    Bought a "Near Mint" Movie soundtrack LP I lost for £12. Result.
    Wee bit of research on there works a treat.

Any other reccy's for places to buy vinyl safely online?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Very good site,if you can find a decent seller,of which there are many! Use it often and can find almost anything you want! I don't use any other site for second hand records online!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Tony.

I use discogs a lot to both buy and sell but you really need to watch the over optimistic grading of some sellers.

I bought a record last week, from a seller with over 1000 feedback most of which is positive but he dicked me about for a week before finally admitting he didn't have the record and refunded me yesterday so I bought the same record, Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac, from a Dutch seller yesterday with over 2,500 records for sale and 99% feedback and he's not replied yet.

I also sold a record to a girl in Lima, Peru last Tuesday for £6 but postage is £9 or £17 (insured & tracked) and she's suddenly disappeared since I sent her an invoice for £15.

But, as I say for the most part it's fine on there.

To date,i've had one iffy experience on there! Bought a record,they sent the wrong record (one i already owned) they then sent the correct record,which had a big chunk of it missing which wasn't in the mailer they sent it in! They then gave me a refund as i gave up on them by then!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Gary.

Suppose its a bit like Ebay where folk guard their positive feedback, especially if they want to make a living from it.
    But like you say, its no guarantee as things happen.

An Ebay type setup just for music, works for me.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I much prefer to physically by my records so i know what i'm getting and save a fair bit on postage but it is very good for finding particular records you are after! It's were i got my rare Demon Fuzz album from.I was very nervous about spending a lot of money on a record coming from America but the seller gave fantastic communication throughout and answered my many questions.Like i said find a good seller and you can't go wrong!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Tony.

Discogs is fantastic for cataloguing your record collection too which then makes it very easy to sell some of it you no longer want.

Selling stuff can take a while though but if your patient and keep an eye on selling prices for whatever your selling you can do well.

Tony

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Never had any problem with Discogs, but only been buying vinyl for a few months. For new high quality stuff I use Scott at SN Vinyl. You have to wait sometimes for a particular pressing, but always get it in the end. Bought some from the bay too, never had a problem there either.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Julian.

I've bought from ebay / discogs / GEMM, and have had excellent, bad and indifferent service from all - totally depends on the 'quality' of the seller and how seriously they take their grading.

One thing I prefer about ebay is that it's easy to see if the seller accepts returns if the vinyl isn't up to 'scratch' - this isn't always as transparent on the other sites ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Mike.

Recently bought from Germany

Cheaper post than from the UK !

Good album too, very well packed
    Last edited by MikeMusic; 14-06-2014 at 14:44. Reason: typo
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast