+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mod advice about Dual cs 455

I'm Dimitris.

Default Mod advice about Dual cs 455

Hello guys

I wanted your advice on something. My brother in law just got a Dual cs 455.

Despite its budget dna and its automatic stuff it is actually not a bad turntable.

I already got him a nice cartridge, but I was also thinking perhaps I should also make him a diy linear psu to replace that hideous pack

I think it is rated at 12V and 125mA

I guess a plain 317 with the nice led reference Jim posted on techiepedia should be excellent. Any suggestions or warnings about the 455?

Thanks in advance for you time.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Sounds reasonable to me.

The 455 is limited by the plastic sub-chassis I remember it having and the overall 'tone' is a bit too safe and soft for many - it still lives on as a Thorens model costing around £500 I think... It should sound great with an AT120E and possibly the Shure 97XE and maybe even a Nagaoka or two, although like Ortofons, they're silly money here for the performance on offer IMO. Try different mats too, a cork one may well be better than the felt thing it comes with.

Nice little auto deck this. A bit pricey now though on the new market as Dual still make something similar.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread