+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget phonostage advice please.

I'm Matthew.

Default Budget phonostage advice please.

Have to confess that until recently I had more or less given up on vinyl replay.

Not for any reason in particular other than playing CD's or ripped Cd's is so much much more convenient. Laziness I guess.

I recently dug out my trusty TD160, which I will never get rid of and dug out some LP's I bought as a teenager in the early '70's.

I now need advice on a "budget" phonostage, because I was so impressed with the sound quality the phonstage of my Pioneer A400 and feel my arm/cartridge/turntable (RB300/Goldring1012/Thorens TD160) is capable of a little better.

Budget is £100 or less.

I am thinking of the following models

NAD (the one KK used to rave about)
    Cambridge Audio 640P
    Musical Fidelity V-LPS

Any thoughts and suggestions, offers of unwanted items much appreciated
    "The hi-fi fraternity is bizarre, full of dangerous amateurs" Tim de Paravicini Audio Magazine 1995
    "Objective measurements in audio are primary, but they are useless unless they have been subjectively validated as predictors of musical accuracy Edgar Villchur Stereophile 2005
    " What we cannot measure, we do not know" Lord Rayleigh

I'm Ralph.

Hi Matthew

You have a PM, sir.

Regards.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Failing that, try a Rega Fono-Micro
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Have to confess that until recently I had more or less given up on vinyl replay.

Not for any reason in particular other than playing CD's or ripped Cd's is so much much more convenient. Laziness I guess.

I recently dug out my trusty TD160, which I will never get rid of and dug out some LP's I bought as a teenager in the early '70's.

I now need advice on a "budget" phonostage, because I was so impressed with the sound quality the phonstage of my Pioneer A400 and feel my arm/cartridge/turntable (RB300/Goldring1012/Thorens TD160) is capable of a little better.
    Now there's a tale to warm the cockles of yer heart! Nice one, Matthew

I'd recommend this if you want to own a quality MM phono stage for beer money:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...egory_Code=C2D

It sounds fantastic and, IMO, is way better than all the 'usual suspects' in terms of budget phonostages.... It often pays to think outside of the box!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Matthew.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Ralph (REM) kindly sold me an unwanted NAD PP2 and I have been totally engrossed in listening to old favourites!

Less than 72 hours from posting to hearing Atom Heart Mother in a different light. I swear I could hear a tambourine somewher in Electric Ladyland I'd never heard before!

Nearly has as much impact as when I first aquired my Beresford TC7510

The NAD is connected to my amp via Missing Link Silver Surfer cable (of which I am a big fan: it's only £12 per mono metre)

Next step is a new stylus as the current one is approximately 20 years old. Anyone care to venture opinions as to whether the 1042 stylus which is widely touted as an upgrade is worth the extra expense?

Next on the agenda is finding my Moth record cleaning machine which is buried somewhere in the garage which also contains 1000+ LP's.
    "The hi-fi fraternity is bizarre, full of dangerous amateurs" Tim de Paravicini Audio Magazine 1995
    "Objective measurements in audio are primary, but they are useless unless they have been subjectively validated as predictors of musical accuracy Edgar Villchur Stereophile 2005
    " What we cannot measure, we do not know" Lord Rayleigh

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Mathew

Marvelous ' you have over a 1000 lp's ! blimey , and yes get a new stylus not so sure if its worth getting the 1042 ! another 1012 should suffice .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Another vote for Rega Fono Micro. Odd one appears on fleabay or not too expensive new.
    Paul.

I'm Charlie.

The Moth cleaning machine will be the biggest upgrade. Find it and you'll have a whole new audio experience (as well as some vacuum noise from the Moth beforehand). I use a Moth regularly - best value bit of vinyl kit I have.

Charlie
    www.charlie-chan.co.uk

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Charlie - I'm intrigued about your user name -
    - does it refer to:
    'To Pox Ford Doc' or
    'To Pox For d Doc'
    'Top Oxford Doc'?

If it's either of the former, I'm slightly concerned for you.
    Either way, welcome to the Art of Sound!

You'll be needing to pay a visit over to the Welcome section to introduce yourself.
    (I agree with you on the RCM, by the way!)

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    The Moth cleaning machine will be the biggest upgrade. Find it and you'll have a whole new audio experience (as well as some vacuum noise from the Moth beforehand). I use a Moth regularly - best value bit of vinyl kit I have.

Charlie
    www.charlie-chan.co.uk
    Welcome to AOS Charlie

Can you pop into the welcome section of the forum and say hello, tell us a bit about yourself, your system and taste in music. Thank you in advance.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast