+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
    Thanks Danilo but I never did get the hang of soldering
    Soldering is a very handy skill. We've just had a good thread on cable making by Oliver, who'd not done any soldering before and ended up doing some good work quickly.

Here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...DIY-RCA-Cables

Why not have a bash?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Soldering is a very handy skill. We've just had a good thread on cable making by Oliver, who'd not done any soldering before and ended up doing some good work quickly.

Here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...DIY-RCA-Cables

Why not have a bash?
    Cheers, I shall give it a go

I'm Barry.

But I will definitely be looking at the Sony amps, would I really be able to get very good hi-fi sound from one of these old amps?
    In short, Yes.

Provided the amp is n good nick, you would have to go a leg way to beat one of them for sound quality. I have been involved in 'high end' audio for nigh on 30 years as a hobbyist, installer and dealer, and I can honestly say that you're unlikely to find the level,of quality design and build of the older amps in new models unless you're ready to spend £1000's

Of course that doesn't apply to ALL older amps...there is a lot of dross out there, but essentially, if you can tick the following boxes, whatever amp you're looking at will be better than okay:

- toroidal transformer
    - dual mono design
    - quality capacitors
    - decent speaker binding posts
    - quality switches

These are normally the marks of a well designed / built amp.

Oh, and just for the record, "damping factor" doesn't count for diddly.......
    ..all the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff...

Frank Zappa

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
    In short, Yes.

Provided the amp is n good nick, you would have to go a leg way to beat one of them for sound quality. I have been involved in 'high end' audio for nigh on 30 years as a hobbyist, installer and dealer, and I can honestly say that you're unlikely to find the level,of quality design and build of the older amps in new models unless you're ready to spend £1000's

Of course that doesn't apply to ALL older amps...there is a lot of dross out there, but essentially, if you can tick the following boxes, whatever amp you're looking at will be better than okay:

- toroidal transformer
    - dual mono design
    - quality capacitors
    - decent speaker binding posts
    - quality switches

These are normally the marks of a well designed / built amp.

Oh, and just for the record, "damping factor" doesn't count for diddly.......
    Thanks Barry, I had a look about for the high end Sony discussed previously but could not see any nice examples, would you mind giving me a few pointers as to different models I should be looking out for, I like to listen primarily to vinyl if that helps, thanks,

I'm Michael.

If I were you I would have a look at Nord audio's site : - http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!hypex-amps/avuyk
    They are offering IPL Speakers built to a high standard which far exceed the component quality of commercial speakers in my view and sound very good in the bargin at a very good price. Also look at the Abrahamsen electronics. These used to be marketed through dealers under the Electrocompaniet label via a dealer network. All their amps power supplies are built around a 1000va transformer. Electrocompaniet have a very good reputation but were expensive. Now you can get them for what in Hi-Fi terms is pea nuts. You can get a dem of their gear but you will have to get on your bike to Cheltenham.

I'm Barry.

Thanks Barry, I had a look about for the high end Sony discussed previously but could not see any nice examples, would you mind giving me a few pointers as to different models I should be looking out for, I like to listen primarily to vinyl if that helps, thanks,
    Will do Phil, I'll post something tomorrow - I'm a bit under the kosh tonight.

Frank Zappa

I'm Phil.

Much appreciated Barry, thanks,

I'm Barry.

Phil I haven't forgotten - just running out of hours. I've been given the day off from rebuilding the house by SWMBO tomorrow, so I'll definitely get you some info on the morrow.

Frank Zappa

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
    Phil I haven't forgotten - just running out of hours. I've been given the day off from rebuilding the house by SWMBO tomorrow, so I'll definitely get you some info on the morrow.
    Thanks Barry, I understand SWMBO must always take precedence

I'm James.

Controversial indeed, thanks Barry
    I had the Kandy LIII (model before the k2) and it was great amp.

Picked it up for 2nd hand for £300 and although I loved it, I dont think I'd pay £700 for a new one.

The K2 is very similar to the LIII so I'd be looking on the 2nd hand market if you like the Roksan sound.

I do believe your £700 would better be spent on some different speakers though.

Changing my amp from a Kandy to a Creek Destiny 2 was a subtle change.

Going from Tannoy DC6 speakers to my Kef LS50's wasn't subtle at all and made a massive improvement.

Cheers, James
    Rpi2 HifiBerry digi+ Ixos 105
    Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III RFC pluto mk2
    Creek Destiny 2 Van Damme UP-LCOFC
    Kef LS50

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast