+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Whats you top three Fav Vintage recievers?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    If you live close enough to a transmitter you really dont NEED a Galaxie (Ron's words, as he did all our installations when I worked in London and Harpenden, as well as the bigger Northampton ones).

The Galaxie tends to "point" at the transmitter and if you want to pick up all sorts, you really need a rotator. The Orion 8 and 9 are more than sufficient for most decent tuners. It was only the insensitive and initially not very selective Naim 01 that *needed* an aerial with high degrees of sideband rejection to prevent "birdies" on the sound...

I hope someone takes over Ron's aerial business when he finally does retire (he's got to be in his late seventies now at least). His aerials are amazingly good IMO, but don't think you HAVE to have a Galaxie jobbie in the UK, 'cos you don't "really" unless you're in a dreadful reception area (I have an insensitive Quad FM3 in use at the moment and i dare not tell you the crud on our chimney which still works fine though.......)
    Interesting..
    Don't think Marco and I live in an area (Cheshire/North Wales)where the signal is 'bad' as such (from Bolton I believe)...but with a couple of standard chmney mounted ariels (one was one of those 'circular' ones, the other quite a largish conventional FM one) my Linn Kremlin never got a signal greater than 26 db according to the built in meter. The sound was 'OK'...but if you whacked the volume up you could hear hiss..
    After rigging up the galaxy in the loft, I was getting 56+ db, and it made a BIG difference, especially in hifi terms.
    I suspect the Orion may well have got those 56 db available.. but its good to overkill here I reckon. I would love to try it on the chimney, but the wife has other ideas. Oerrr matron.
    I had gone for the Galaxy after I discovered that Ron was still selling his aerial's ...his daughter helping run the business...and also after a guy at Linn had said he seemed to recall getting 70+db to his Kremlin years ago, made me realise I wasn't getting what I should have been.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

OK, fair do's. As long as you realise the Galaxie (how Ron spelled it) "points" at the transmitter and suppresses waves hitting it from the sides rather more than the Orion does..

Ron still makes the best aerials in the business as far as I'm concerned (I understand he had his engineering grounding in Radar in the late forties/early fifties IIRC).

One other thing from Ron - In his opinion, it's always better to have too strong a signal and attenuate it, than too weak a signal and boost it, as all the interferance gets boosted too. Wise words I reckon.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    OK, fair do's. As long as you realise the Galaxie (how Ron spelled it) "points" at the transmitter and suppresses waves hitting it from the sides rather more than the Orion does..

Ron still makes the best aerials in the business as far as I'm concerned (I understand he had his engineering grounding in Radar in the late forties/early fifties IIRC).

One other thing from Ron - In his opinion, it's always better to have too strong a signal and attenuate it, than too weak a signal and boost it, as all the interferance gets boosted too. Wise words I reckon.
    mmm...I wonder then, if the Orion would be better suited to a loft location?

Not sure what it all means !!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Maybe, maybe not. If you have the Galaxie and it's working right, I'd leave the bloomin' thing alone

Back in the 70's and probably in the south east, there were people who used rotators and attempted to pick up all sorts of stations far and wide and that is where the larger Galaxies with rotators came in.. These days, there's probably not much about to search for....................
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Yeah...the thought of dismantling that bugger is distressing. However, there is a part of me that is very tempted to get another of Ron's whilst one can. (sort of planning a house move in a few years)

By the way...I for one really believe that this so called cut off date for turning off FM in 2015 is a load of twaddle. There is still no sign that digital signals for car users has improved in coverage, and until that happens FM plays too important a role in my humble view.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345