+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr Feickert's Twin - I presume

I'm Andy.

[QUOTE=Shian7;7579]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand[FONT=Verdana
    I've done that before, and I'm easily confused.[[/FONT]/quote]

Sorry, what were you on about?... I'm a bit confused.
    What I was trying to say was. I have in the past made more that one change to my gear at same time, then ultimately been confused about where the sonic changes came from. But sometimes it is the result as a whole that counts, and not the small individual bits.
    Any clearer - quite possibly not.

Andy - SDDW

I'm Andy.

Hi Marco
    You can buy them direct fom Dr Feickert, give him a call his English is very good and he is a nice guy. Alternatively you could give Keith at AngelSound Audio a call, as I think he is going to sell these Alignment Protractor in the UK.
    You get the Alignment Jig and a hard vinyl disc ( LP size which is at least 200g vinyl type thick ) it is very easy to use and as accurate as they come. I have compared it with quite a few others, like the Clear Audio Alignment one and others and it is excellent. The LP disc is double sided and has Strobe marking on and Overhang markings. The other nice thing is you can decide which Alignment system you wish to use. The Baerwald or Lofgren versions.

Andy - SDDW

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes I think I'll treat myself to one of those.

Correct cartridge alignment is one of the most important parameters to get right on a T/T. Apart from setting the VTF with a stylus pressure gauge the rest (VTA, azimuth, anti-skate) I do by ear or by eye, and even VTF I always fine-tune by ear. I don't use test records.

But the accuracy of the Dr Feickert tool appeals to me, as I'm seriously anal when it comes to making these adjustments

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm seriously anal when it comes to making these adjustments

Marco.
    Oh, I don't know....

Is it really only applicable to your 'adjustments'...?

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Andy.

Default Repeat Post

Thought it worth while dropping my post from the Sand Box thread - or not as the case may be - here, sort of linked together I suppose.

Well having had music on for the last 4 hours or so and mainly vinyl, I am really pleased with the results for the addition of the Granite block. A described earlier Mid range definition and imagery is improved and also the bottom and is deeper and defined but the bass notes run better ( poor description I know ) I think what I am saying more tuneful and musical. In fact the improvements are across the board the top end is open and defined and has a slightly less edginess to some aspects of the sound, more obvious on a hard played Vibraphone like on Dave Grusin ‘Discovered Again’ LP. An all-round result
    A well worth while investment in improvement. I am sat here with a grin on my face similar to photo below – Only I’m not as pretty as the pic.

I hate trying to describe a sound or change in sound. I am not very expressive, though I hope I have got across the basic ideas of my thoughts on the subject.

As a though on another subject it would be good to catch up with some new faces, and with that in mind have considered doing a ‘Bake Off’ ( I hate that term ) sometime. So my question is would there be any interest. With the shifts I work it could be any time during the Week or Weekends. Let know if there’s interest and we’ll get something arranged.

Andy – SDDW

I'm InSpace.

Yup... Count me in!

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes I think I'll treat myself to one of those.

Correct cartridge alignment is one of the most important parameters to get right on a T/T. Apart from setting the VTF with a stylus pressure gauge the rest (VTA, azimuth, anti-skate) I do by ear or by eye, and even VTF I always fine-tune by ear. I don't use test records.

But the accuracy of the Dr Feickert tool appeals to me, as I'm seriously anal when it comes to making these adjustments

Marco.
    I've recently been trying the Loefgren alignment courtesy of J7's Audio Origami protractor. I really like the way that plays. I think the Feickert is based on the same geometry.

I'm Andy.

Hi Pure Sound
    I have J7's alignment protractor too. Very good it is as well. The only problem I find with that type of protractor and most of them have this issue, is you need to very accurately align the long line at the axis of the tonearm that then aligns the grid to be able to setup the cartridge. You only need to be a mm or so out with the axis alignment and the cartridge grid has movesd a significant amout. Having said that I alway check against another alignment tool and it is usually J7's and always proves accurate and simple to use. Another inportant factor is the cost, J7's is unbeatable at the price.
    In practice I use the Feickert tool to set the tonearm up from scratch and then check with the J7.

Andy - SDDW

I'm Guy.

I'd agree, it does need some care & I had to trim a little from the end of the AO protractor to get it into the correct position or it would foul parts of the SME arm. Once set properly there is a really good sense of precise focus which I've never quite had using SME's own protractor.

There used to be a very easy to use device called the Cart A Lign, a boomerang shaped protractor with an inbuilt mirror where the grid was. It too relied on being lined up with the bearing point but I think it was Baerwald geometry rather than Loefgren. I lost mine along well as my Technics electronic tracking force gauge during a house move.

I'm Andy.

I would agree with your sentiments regarding getting the alignment correct and also with the never quite right thoughts with the SME protractor. The 'Cart A Lign' one is a new one to me. Which of the 2 Alignment geometry's do you prefer, Lofgren or Baerwald. Mind you that is almost a thread in it's self really.

Andy - SDDW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast