View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

1 8.33%
  • 7/10

3 25.00%
  • 8/10

4 33.33%
  • 9/10

3 25.00%
  • 10/10

1 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, January 2016: Jackie Leven - 'Creatures of Light and Darkness'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, January 2016: Jackie Leven - 'Creatures of Light and Darkness'

Happy New Year everybody,

We start the New Year with an Album Club choice by JasonP. As always, please listen to the album fully before you vote.

Album Club January 2016 - Jackie Leven, Creatures of Light and Darkness

Jackie Leven is one of those singer/songwriters that many have never ever heard of, despite him being one of the most prolific artists and live performers around while he was alive. He died in 2011, a great loss to his many fans across the globe.

A bit of background. Born in to a Romany family, he grew up in Fife, and became a folk musician in the 60s. He formed the seminal rock band Doll by Doll in the late 70s, a band cited by critics but largely ignored by the public - too at odds with the punk and pop sensibilities of the time.

When the band split up in '82, Leven stated a solo career. This was tragically cut short after he was the victim of a random assault that nearly killed him. The injuries he suffered from strangulation meant he couldn't speak for two years. Deeply depressed he became addicted to heroin. He cured his addiction with a combination of acupuncture and holistic therapies - which led to his founding of the Core Trust, a charity devoted to fighting addictions. It was at a dinner for the trust where he met Princess Diana (one of their patrons) who asked him to sing - a request that eventually propelled him back into his musical career.

What followed was his first major album, 'The Mystery of Love Is Greater Than The Mystery Of Death'. What followed until his passing in 2011 were some 26 albums - some released under the pseudonym Sir Vincent Lone - all dealing with, at their heart, what it is to be alive. Too diverse to be pigeonholed, Leven's music has variously been described as combining

'the raw materials of country, soul, blues, Celtic balladry, girl-group pop, art-rock, found sound, spoken word, and, once or twice and with quite respectable results, even hip-hop. Critics lazily tag his music either as "folk rock" or "Celtic soul," though Leven hates the first ("What the fuck is folk-rock about anything I've ever done?") and says the second is "better than nothing but probably doesn't do me any favors, given that I don't sound anything like Van Morrison."

Creatures of Light and Darkness is Leven's eighth studio album, and one of my personal favourites.

Almost like a travelogue of experiences, Jackie Leven's Creatures of Light and Dark, takes you on an emotional voyage through the observations of a man who has certainly seen much. From the minute the mariachi trumpets of "Spanish Dad" kick in and the tired, rich country voice of "Rainy Day Bergen Women" you realise this talented folk singer/songwriter writes his music in the quiet moments of reflection on an extraordinary life spent not just in his home town of Fife but also Franco's Spain and the deeply divided Berlin of the late 70s. He takes these settings and uses them as backdrops for his thoughts on memory ("Washing By Hand") and ideas of love ("Exit Wound"), loss and spiritual and emotional denial. On "The Sexual Loneliness of Jesus Christ", certainly one of the stand-out tracks, Jackie samples the voices of Glaswegian miners who have just been sacked as he ponders what it might be like to be out of touch from an important part of life. Creatures of Light and Darkness was named after an experience Jackie had as a child visiting a local pit. Stepping from the darkness to the light is certainly something he can relate to and is a perfect title for this beautiful and very personal album. --Caroline Butler

More on Leven's story can be found in this tribute by Paul Du Noyer, written shortly after his death:

http://www.pauldunoyer.com/pages/jou...urnalismID=337

and the album is on Spotify HERE

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

What a corker of a pick for the New Year - top choice JasonP
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    What a corker of a pick for the New Year - top choice JasonP
    Thank you - we aim to please!!
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Steve.

Thanks for choosing one of Jackie Leven's albums- this one is particularly good.
    I have a rather poignant tale about Jackie, if I might take a minute to recall.
    One dark night in 2011 my mate Kev asked if I fancied going to see Jackie Leven in Crewe.
    Now Crewe isn't the most salubrious place, and I'd never really listened to his stuff before.

However we did go, and enjoyed a great evening of tales and songs from Jackie.
    At the end he asked if anyone wanted to pay a tenner and he would send his new album when ready.
    So me a Kev did, and told him to post the two together.
    Weeks and then months passed with no sign of any album.
    I'd got quite pissed off about it, thinking that we had been ripped off, and he was enjoying pissing away our few quid.
    Early November and an envelop dropped through the letter box with two CDs , both signed in very shakey writing from Jackie.
    Two days later I read of his death from cancer.
    Never be too quick to judge anyone.

I'm Jason.

That's very touching Steve. I think he never ever took his fans for granted - I always felt that seeing him live was somehow different because of that, a very inclusive intimate experience. I didn't know he was ill, though I followed him regularly gig-wise. I was utterly shocked to hear of his death - it was on the same day we'd buried a friend who'd taken their own life, and this felt like an equally acute loss. It's rare when an artistes death affects one like that - Kirsty MacColl was one notable other for me.

One of the things I love about this album is it's dealing with loss and memory. The opener, 'My Spanish Dad', is very evocative in it's childlike idealisation of 'father' - 'I don't know but I've been told/A daddy's heart is paved with gold/Walk on splinters to his arms/Feel him breathing deep and calm...'. Similar themes abound - the story of infidelity and loss in 'Billy Ate My Pocket'; the alienation in 'The Sexual Loneliness of Jesus Christ'; the drunken contemplation of 'Rainy Day Bergen Women' - 'Everything changes when your Daddy dies/You see new colours in stranger's eyes...'. It's melancholy but in a deeply soulful way, and Leven's writing had always had a profound effect on me because of this.
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Jostein.

Great choice of album, one of my favorites. I also had the joy to see Jackie Leven live here in my hometown in Norway in about 2007, a wonderful experience to remember. This is a album studded with beautiful songs, and it has a great sound and production as well. One of the albums I might have listened to the most. Be sure to check out his other classic albums as well like "Elegy For Johnny Cash", "Shining Brother, Shining Sister" and "Nightlilies"
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Beautifully crafted songs, from a master songwriter. Sadly I only really discovered Jackie after he died, so never had a chance to see him live. I'm still getting acquainted with his music (I only have 2 albums), so this is a timely reminder. One of the most talented singer/songwriters that most people have never heard of - great to give this an airing Jason and a superb album.

I'm going to give it a solid 8/10 and I've just ordered it.

I'm listening to 'Lovers at the Gun Club' at the moment and will probably have to order that too! This is going to cost me

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I'm listening to 'Lovers at the Gun Club' at the moment and will probably have to order that too! This is going to cost me
    3 down, 25 odd left to go... :-)

'The Mystery Of Love Is Greater Than The Mystery Of Death' is worth a punt. 'Elegy for Johnny Cash' too. Heck, they all are but then I'm biased...

Fortunately many of the studio albums are on Spotiify ;-)
    ----------------------

I'm Grant.

Ive heard a few of his songs and they always left an impression of wanting more
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    Fortunately many of the studio albums are on Spotiify ;-)
    Yup and I've been going through a lot today - not found anything yet I didn't like

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast