+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Amp??

I'm Graham.

Default What Amp??

I'm sure this will open another can of worms But I'm on the look out for a new amp (solid state or tube) integrated, as my room is smallish it doesn't need to "rock da house" the main issue for me is that I like a rich sound!! Don't need a phono stage as I've got a long dog audio dual input/output phono stage coming in Jan Budget is a max of £1500 I've been looking but there are so many mixed reviews out there my mind is fried at the moment!!!! Help
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" Ernest Hemingway

Set-Up (So Far) Garrard 401 with Rega 300 arm & Black 2M, Longdog Audio twin valve dual input phono, Denon DVD 2500 Transport all through Creek Destiny Mk1 integrated amp into Rega RS3 Floor standers

I'm Geoff.

One of these might suit.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/art...ound;1749/9718

I've not seen a bad word said about it. Definitely on my shopping list if I ever need an integrated amp.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andy.

When you say a "new" amp, does it have to be brand new? Your money wil go a lot further if buying used. That said, £1500 will still give you a great amp if you choose something you like. Best advice I can offer is go listen to a few amps if buying new. If buying used, you can always buy on instinct and re-sell at little or no loss if it's not your thing.

I'm Gone.

Off the wall but in your budget and will give you a superb sound, way beyond anthing else at you price point in my opinion and all sourced from AoS

Gareth's Tissy http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...atest-version)

Coupled with Colin's Art Audio Concerto Mk2 http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...Audio-upgrades

Great set up straight away and should you want to upgrade the pre amp in the future, real easy to do

Cheers

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I think Graham was looking for an integrated amp...

I think a used Audio Note Oto SE or PP or maybe a Soro might be a good used buy, I say this not just because I own an Audio Note Oto SE but because they represent very good value for money on the used market. The Oto retails for about £2,300'ish and I think the Soro is about the same but on the used market you could pick up either amp for around £1,200 ' ish, for a good one. I believe at £1,200' ish there is nothing to touch them and I have used loads of amps over the years

As Graham is also using Rega RS3's, which is exactly what I am using at the moment (my new toy!) I absolutely guarantee either amp is ample to drive them and sound very nice as well. The Oto SE (like mine) is about 10w and the Soro about 20w which, believe me, is plenty to drive the RS3's as they seem such an easy speaker to drive, to very high volumes if required (which I don't however!)

Hope that helps Graham
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    One of these might suit.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/art...ound;1749/9718

I've not seen a bad word said about it. Definitely on my shopping list if I ever need an integrated amp.
    Cheers Geoff, there are a couple of Destiny Mk1's on ebay at the mo..Manufacturers refrub with warranty for £700??
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" Ernest Hemingway

Set-Up (So Far) Garrard 401 with Rega 300 arm & Black 2M, Longdog Audio twin valve dual input phono, Denon DVD 2500 Transport all through Creek Destiny Mk1 integrated amp into Rega RS3 Floor standers

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    When you say a "new" amp, does it have to be brand new? Your money wil go a lot further if buying used. That said, £1500 will still give you a great amp if you choose something you like. Best advice I can offer is go listen to a few amps if buying new. If buying used, you can always buy on instinct and re-sell at little or no loss if it's not your thing.
    No - just NEW to me so all options considered been looking at a copland?? on t'bay but reviews are mixed!!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Also as Andy has said if you buy a used amp and don't get on with it you can always re-sell it easily. I think buying used is a no brainer as long as you don't over pay for it. It's a great way of trying out various amps at home with little or no risk... just a thought
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I think Graham was looking for an integrated amp...

I think a used Audio Note Oto SE or PP or maybe a Soro might be a good used buy, I say this not just because I own an Audio Note Oto SE but because they represent very good value for money on the used market. The Oto retails for about £2,300'ish and I think the Soro is about the same but on the used market you could pick up either amp for around £1,200 ' ish, for a good one. I believe at £1,200' ish there is nothing to touch them and I have used loads of amps over the years

As Graham is also using Rega RS3's, which is exactly what I am using at the moment (my new toy!) I absolutely guarantee either amp is ample to drive them and sound very nice as well. The Oto SE (like mine) is about 10w and the Soro about 20w which, believe me, is plenty to drive the RS3's as they seem such an easy speaker to drive, to very high volumes if required (which I don't however!)

Hope that helps Graham
    Cheers, there are a couple (oto) on t'bay at the moment within the price you mention Bloomin cheapest is Collection only in Taunton - a big drive for me

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Brown View Post
    Cheers Geoff, there are a couple of Destiny Mk1's on ebay at the mo..Manufacturers refrub with warranty for £700??
    The Mk.I had excellent reviews too. Check online.

Creek amps always seem to have something a bit special. They're very musical.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast