Closed Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A controversial article!

I'm Jez.

Default A controversial article!

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/myths.html

I don't agree with everything said in the article myself... but most of it yes...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Meet 'Mr Measurebator'...

This is the only kind of person interested in that guff:

Say hello to 'Arnold'.

On Tuesdays, he wears nothing but a blindfold and a pair of his sister's panties, but gets much more excited at the thought of giving his mains cables a right good DBX-ing...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice school picture Marco!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Ha - those were the types I used to like to slap!

{Kidding}.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ha - those were the types I used to like to slap!

{Kidding}.

Marco.
    I bet the one that grew up to be bill Gates wished he'd been playground cool instead

I'm Richard.

And jez

We both know, whatever else was read or ignored, Marco is not going to be able to resist trying listening to his system with his wedding tackle dipped in olive oil. I am opening a book on how long before we get a thread opened arguing over which extra virgin olive oil produces the best sonic effect

I bet it's a bloody Italian oil

Filippo Berio provides the nicest 'thrust'!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    A controversial article!
    I don't understand. What's controversial about it?

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    I don't understand. What's controversial about it?
    Welcome to AOS.

Hugh, it's because most of us here are diehard subjectivists, who trust our ears (but certainly don't 'hate' science), and the article linked to makes some heavily objectivist statements that many of us would disagree with

It's also an old article, which I've seen many times before.

The problem is that on hi-fi forums there are too many resident nerds/geeks, as the technical aspects of this hobby, together with computers, attracts them, and computers are what we use to communicate with each other on the Internet. Nerds/geeks also tend to be 'sciencey types', who more often than not, possess an objectivist mindset.

Those types of people, whilst no doubt mostly very nice guys, think completely differently, certainly from how I do, and consequently hold diametrically opposed views on hi-fi. It also explains the personality clashes that inevitably occur between various proponents from either 'camp', when 'art' and science are, or appear to be, mutually incompatible.

That's why these types of threads crop up regularly (often, as in this instance, when links are posted that appear to confirm the views of a proponent from one 'camp', seeking to gain the intellectual high ground) and why, no matter how much debate takes place, about who is 'right' or 'wrong', there will NEVER be any consensus between those who occupy both sides of the divide.

All it creates is a nice archive of circular arguments, and sometimes the odd death threat

Marco.
    Main System

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast