+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New System Help!

I'm Branden.

Default New System Help!

Hi, thank you to all for the warm welcome to the site.

My current setup, as mentioned in my post on the "Welcome" section is: Reciever: Marantz 2240, TT: Dual CS-606 with Ortofon ULM52E cartridge, Speakers: Paradigm 3se mini

I'm planning on buying an entirely new system soon(ish). I've already decided on going with an integrated amp (hopefully with a built in phono stage). My current setup sounds great 'til I really crank it, then it becomes quite muddy and distorted. Moving on to my main questions...

1. Is Marantz still a good for mid-range hifi? I've heard various opinions on it. Or, should I go with Naim Audio / NAD Audio? (with Marantz, I'd only consider models made in Japan, like the P8005/P7005). I've posted a similar post on another forum and was told that "Abrahamsen" integrated amps are good. Opinions?

2. Should I invest in a DAC, and if so which one? Right now I hook up my digital devices through the auxiliary input on my 2240.

3. I'm planning on going with either a Pro-ject Debut Carbon or Rega P1 (or possibly a NAD C556, or a Dual CS-455-1), would these compliment my system well?

4. I plan on sticking with Paradigm speakers, unsure of the model yet.

I plan to spend $3-4000 and end up with a mid-range hi-fi system.

Any and all suggestions/help appreciated!

I'm Pete.

ok ...notice your using $ so I'll assume your in the us [?].........all of your suggestions are good ...but I'm concerned that you put nad and naim together as options...the house sounds of each are very different and as always would suggest you get to hear them at a dealer or a show or friend [maybe you have !] my couple of cents worth ....Naim sound can be very eclectic for me its huge mid image and very little of the outer edges of the music image...think of a fish eye lens. Sometimes refereed to as the naim wall of sound some love it ...I'm not a great fan.

"Abrahamsen" amps sorry no experience with them ...Marantz good mass market gear does nothing badly [damned with faint praise]...NAD always liked there gear. Don't think any of your tt suggestions will be much better than what you have ......you'd need to go rega p3 [or what ever the current iteration is ]...

as with all things try and do one step at a time, if it was my system I'd look to get a loan amp or borrow from friend etc .....to see what effect it would have in your current setup

I'm Branden.

I'm in Canada. I haven't heard either of Naim or NAD yet...and I probably won't until I become serious about buying. One hi-fi dealer I went to sells mainly NAD and the other mainly Naim. I think I'd lean more toward NAD as it's Canadian design, and popular here.

Thanks for the advice on the TT. Maybe I'll spend a little more on it than I was expecting.

As for friends to borrow from, I'm 19 going on 20. So nobody I know has any hi-fi stuff, but I'm sure I could go to the local shops and get some auditions.

Thanks!

I'm Dave.

You mention "Rega" so, presumably, you have a Rega dealer within striking distance. That would be a very good place to start, as Rega products are excellent and very good value.

Is NAD a "Canadian design" ? It used to be designed in the UK and made in Japan but I believe is now all Chinese. Certainly, Chinese made.

I'm Branden.

Yes, several Rega dealers nearby. I think NAD is still engineered in Canada, it is made in China though, which is why I'm weary to buy their products. They claim to be good, and that China manufactures them to spec. But still, they're sold in high end stores, so that must mean they're quality products, right?

I'm Doug.

I think Rega might be one of the better choices. I've alway felt that Rega has a house sound that is easy to live with in the long run.

Sorry, don't know much about Marantz.
    "...one door shuts and then another closes"

- Ian Dury

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by pianomanbtm View Post
    Hi, thank you to all for the warm welcome to the site.

My current setup, as mentioned in my post on the "Welcome" section is: Reciever: Marantz 2240, TT: Dual CS-606 with Ortofon ULM52E cartridge, Speakers: Paradigm 3se mini

I'm planning on buying an entirely new system soon(ish). I've already decided on going with an integrated amp (hopefully with a built in phono stage). My current setup sounds great 'til I really crank it, then it becomes quite muddy and distorted. Moving on to my main questions...

1. Is Marantz still a good for mid-range hifi? I've heard various opinions on it. Or, should I go with Naim Audio / NAD Audio? (with Marantz, I'd only consider models made in Japan, like the P8005/P7005). I've posted a similar post on another forum and was told that "Abrahamsen" integrated amps are good. Opinions?

2. Should I invest in a DAC, and if so which one? Right now I hook up my digital devices through the auxiliary input on my 2240.

3. I'm planning on going with either a Pro-ject Debut Carbon or Rega P1 (or possibly a NAD C556, or a Dual CS-455-1), would these compliment my system well?

I plan to spend $3-4000 and end up with a mid-range hi-fi system.

Any and all suggestions/help appreciated!
    You mention muddy at higher volumes - this is likely a result of feedback from speakers back into cartridge - have you tried moving the turntable somewhere different? Worth investigating, otherwise you're new kit may suffer the same.

Richard

I'm Robin.

As you live in Canada I would look at simaudio.com. Home grown products with fine pedigree and make some less expensive stuff too.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by pianomanbtm View Post
    If you are planning on sticking with Paradigm speakers,i can reccommend the Reference Studio 20 range. They are a quality standmount speaker and would be a significant upgrade on your current Paradigms imo!

Being from Canada you should to be able to find dealers,or going secondhand you should be more easily able to find a pair! You should also be able to find older versions at reasonable costs saving a fair bit on current new models!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

+ Reply to Thread