+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera experts wanted.

I'm Shaun.

You could try ebay for a secondhand Nikon D70. This camera uses one of the finest imaging CCD's ever put into a digicam. You would have the option to buy it body only and then match it to an appropriate lens. A Nikon 18-70mm would be fine or a Tamron 17-35mm would be better.

www.pickerinphotography.co.uk

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by steve dixon View Post
    in my experience the nikon coolpix range are superb and the two i own are both going strong long after the warranty ran out.

it's not true that you need millions of pixel's, three million is a good compromise between quality and speed, speed? i hear you ask, well yes everytime you press the button the camera pauses whilst it captures the image, obviously 12 mega pix tales a lot longer to capture the image than a 3 mega pixel, so.... well whilst it's capturing it can't take another picture, so you could miss two great pics whilst your waiting.

3 mega pixels can be enlarged to a4 no probs, so unless you want a more pro' approach and want to enlarge to poster size and take a tripod etc then you need more.

but a student? pissed at party, on a day out, or general 'snaps' probably not.
    good luck
    I don't believe that most DLSRs have the dreaded digital delay, certainly my 10MP dlsr doesn't whereas various 1 to 5 MP point and shoots I have used do to varying degrees.

One comment I would add about mega pixels be not being that important, certainly this is true where you print the full photo.....but where you print just a portion of a photo then the extra mega pixels help. Having said that I certainly agree that choosing a camera by its mega pixels is not the way to go.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    Thats brilliant Hamish, thanks for taking the time.

From that i conclude that Nikon and Canon are relatively safe secondhand buys. We'll take a look locally and then see whats available online perhaps.

I could understand the Nikon pro connection when the F4 was the camera of choice. But some of the cheaper cameras in the Nikon range made little impression on me. Others seemed easier to use.
    Maybe professionals judge a camera system with a completely different set of criteria to us amateurs.

I used to do weddings with Bronicas and Nikkor lenses, does that make me a pro.
    yes
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    You could try ebay for a secondhand Nikon D70. This camera uses one of the finest imaging CCD's ever put into a digicam. You would have the option to buy it body only and then match it to an appropriate lens. A Nikon 18-70mm would be fine or a Tamron 17-35mm would be better.

www.pickerinphotography.co.uk
    agreed

d50 is the same sensor too
    its the same as in my r-d1

now thats a good digital camera!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

OK. Thanks.
    I've passed the info on.

3 mega pixels can be enlarged to a4 no probs, so unless you want a more pro' approach and want to enlarge to poster size and take a tripod etc then you need more.

but a student? pissed at party, on a day out, or general 'snaps' probably not.
    Valid point Steve. but she has an everyday camera already. Whatever she buys will be going to New York in November, and she wants something dependable.
    Knowing her she'll probably prefer the silver ones.

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    OK. and she wants something dependable.
    Knowing her she'll probably prefer the silver ones.
    Then you'll have to look at a Leica or a Contax.

Then you'll have to look at a Leica or a Contax
    Not with a budget of £250.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12