+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SME M2-12

I'm Ralph.

Default SME M2-12

Was just fishing round on a.n.other forum and look what I CAUGHT. Might interest some here, maybe.

I'm Dave.

An excellent arm, been around for a few weeks and at a good price of £1175, all 12 inches of it.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    An excellent arm, been around for a few weeks and at a good price of £1175, all 12 inches of it.
    That's £100 an inch! Must say it looks the biz. Does this mean that SME will re-manufacture the S2R headshell?

Regards
    Barry

I'm Nobody.

Think i'd rather put my money into a 3012R..The Yoke & Bias rod section on that arm is horrible.

Looks miles better

http://www.analogerwohnraum.de/uploa...kteSME30cm.jpg
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 21-10-2009 at 23:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Think i'd rather put my money into a 3012R..The Yoke & Bias rod section on that arm is horrible.
    I guess it depends on whether you want knife-edge or ball-race bearings. Agree with you about the yoke; don't know why the M2 series could not have the far more graceful and elegant 'pyramid' style of the Series II and R models.

I have four Series II arms: three 9" and one 12". The offset transverse balance/playing weight arrangement put a lot of strain on the counterweight decoupling.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Nobody.

The knife edge was the weak part of the arm, that can now be sorted with a bronze replacement. 'R' version of the arms were improvement over the older in many aspects. For one the decoupling you say, the 'R' is more like the 'S2 Imp' version..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-03-2010 at 03:20.

I'm Dave.

The 3012R is no longer available. The M2-12R is the latest and is a very good arm.

I'm Nobody.

3012R not been available for some time..I've had a 3010R, was a beauty. The 'IIIS' i had aswell was dreadfull

The knife edge was the weak part of the arm, that can now be sorted with a bronze replacement. 'R' version of the arms were improvement over the older in many aspects. For one the decoupling you say, the 'R' is more like the 'S2 Imp' version..
    All of my SMEs have metal bearings. The two 'Improved models' (one with a fixed headshell and one with a detachable headshell) were early versions fitted with metal knife edge bearings.

Yes, I agree about the lateral balance/playing weight mechanism. My comments referred to my 3009 II/S2 and 3012 II/S2. Always did covert the 3012-R.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Dave.

3012R not been available for some time..I've had a 3010R, was a beauty. The 'IIIS' i had aswell was dreadfull
    The SME III was a styling exercise, designed to be made on their newly purchased diecast machinery. It was designed on the drawing board to suit low tracking weight, high compliance cartridges and not tried before being put into production.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast