+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bang & Olufsen Beovox 5702 speaker

I'm gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I will reluctantly permit some better/newer capacitors and maybe a re-wire (plus soldering of any push-on tags) but that's it!
    Ha ha...ok I promise not to.. Thank you!

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by gkt View Post
    Hi...

I am thinking of repairing my old Beovox 5702 speakers..

Can anyone advise on this..? I would like to literally replace the woofers for something a little newer. which speaker to use in place of original and would I need to change the crossover at all?

Just would be a shame to bin them!!

I appreciate any knowledge or advise sent my way..
    My view is that if you're going to replace the drivers with ones which don't try to be direct replacements, then the speaker kind of becomes a little pointless - better to build a new cabinet which is designed for the new drivers.

Are these the ones which use the same dome mid-range as Celestion 66s?

I'm gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Advent View Post
    My view is that if you're going to replace the drivers with ones which don't try to be direct replacements, then the speaker kind of becomes a little pointless - better to build a new cabinet which is designed for the new drivers.

Are these the ones which use the same dome mid-range as Celestion 66s?
    Hi..

Yes you are certainly right with that.. I am struggling to find repair kits for these speakers!! I am not too sure about the Celestions!

I'm Geoff.

Yes. that is a Celestion midrange unit. MD500 model if I recall. Along with the Celestion HF2000 tweeter. Bass driver I believe is a Philips, don't recall the model number.

These speakers in my opinion (as I've said) are probably best kept as near standard as possible. They are a bit of a 'Classic' and fairly rare. Any cosmetic problems should not be too hard to address.

You will probably spend more on new surrounds for the KEF ABR units (if you can still find any), than you'd spend on second hand replacements. If you buy later replacement units, you won't have rotting foam surrounds to worry about, as they use synthetic rubber instead, which lasts. And, fitting new surrounds to these is a bugger of a job. I've done a pair.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. that is a Celestion midrange unit. MD500 model if I recall. Along with the Celestion HF2000 tweeter. Bass driver I believe is a Philips, don't recall the model number.

These speakers in my opinion (as I've said) are probably best kept as near standard as possible. They are a bit of a 'Classic' and fairly rare. Any cosmetic problems should not be too hard to address.

You will probably spend more on new surrounds for the KEF ABR units (if you can still find any), than you'd spend on second hand replacements. If you buy later replacement units, you won't have rotting foam surrounds to worry about, as they use synthetic rubber instead, which lasts. And, fitting new surrounds to these is a bugger of a job. I've done a pair.
    Hi..thanks for your reply. Yes proving to find repair kits is impossible will keep on trying!! Feel lost with all the searching...

I'm Sam.

Perhaps time to hit the phone or email - internet searching only gets so far (results are based on links between sites, nothing more) whilst someone's personal knowledge can cut through that.

I'm Darren.

Indeed maybe try posting a few wanted ads too, you never know your luck, a pity Geoff doesn't have these anymore http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...onal-condition
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by gkt View Post
    Hi..thanks for your reply. Yes proving to find repair kits is impossible will keep on trying!! Feel lost with all the searching...
    Gary, just re-reading this thread and what do you mean when you say "the woofers have their domes rotten away" - do you mean there is a problem with the dust caps or something more? Do you have any pictures?

Frankly, if you can get them to Hampshire, I'd be happy to repair them for you.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Gary, just re-reading this thread and what do you mean when you say "the woofers have their domes rotten away" - do you mean there is a problem with the dust caps or something more? Do you have any pictures?

Frankly, if you can get them to Hampshire, I'd be happy to repair them for you.
    Like this I suspect:

The cellular compound of the dust caps has broken down.

The early BD139s have similar problems with their surrounds.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Indeed maybe try posting a few wanted ads too, you never know your luck, a pity Geoff doesn't have these anymore http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...onal-condition
    But I do still have them!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast