+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern covers of Duke Ellington...

I'm Clark.

My favourite is "One For Duke" with the Masaru Imada Trio on the Three Blind Mice label TBM47

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzau9X7BJZA/YT]

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Which one would you recommend Grant, he is a fav of mine along with Count Basie.
    Huge fan here too.... and on the Basie side, if I absolutely had to name just one album as my favourite one ever, I would have to go for "Sinatra At The Sands".

The chairman of the board at his best combined with a really on form Count Basie Orchestra and all made extra swingin' by a young man on one of his first big jobs... one Quincy Jones

I've got an excellent double (maybe quadruple!) album of The Duke which I'll try to remember to dig out and put a name to... not good on SQ but superb anyway.

I love the story that often Ellington and a few other of the more erm.. "sober" members of the band would sometimes have to start a gig with less than half of the musicians present... the rest would wonder in gradually during the set, and in various states of debauchery, but still play amazing! The jam would usually then continue into the early hours, long after the customers had gone, and often with members of other bands joining in the jam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12