+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Miracle Dream-The Reimyo CDT-777 Transport and DAP-999 EX DAC.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    Neil

Excellent write-up and accompanying pictures (including your use of my own picture of the CDP-777 I once owned!).

A quick Google search of the internet will reveal that the Reimyo CDP-777 was one of the most universally acclaimed single box red book CD players ever. I have never seen so many worldwide positive reviews of a single piece of hi-fi equipment. In the UK, Hi Fi+ published a glowing review and as you rightly state, the original UK importer/distributor for Reimyo was Audiofreaks.

I purchased my CDP-777 new in November 2004 and enjoyed endless happy hours with it as my main digital source until I sold it on in September this year (I tend to update hi fi components every 3-4 years and the Reimyo stayed in my system longer than most items).

When the time came for replacement, I considered the CDT-777/DAP-999 combo but following extensive listening at home settled on a new dCS Paganini CD/SACD transport + DAC which IMHO exeeds the performance of the CDP-777 in my system.

It's a shame I didn't know you wanted to listen to a CDP-777 in your system before I sold it as I would have been happy for you to have had it on loan (it was boxed up since early June when the dCs arrived!).

Regards

Steve

Hi steve

Your photo was the best I could find at the time, glad you don't mind me having used it.

I would have loved to hear your CDP-777, but the danger in that, would have been wanting to buy it which I could not do. If I had been able I would have bought yours as soon as you had listed it. Whoever bought it is a lucky person indeed. I have only ever heard DCS at shows and not been that impressed. However that means nothing. The AMR-CD77 I also own was heard by me at a show(first public outing of the prototype units)and it sounded crap. To say I was very disappointed would have been putting it mildly. However I took a punt on one when they first became commercially available (getting only the second one to be available in the UK at the time..thanks to Mathew at Real-Hi-Fi who was at the time the distributor).

Anyway DCS is on my must hear list too, but I suspect that I may favour the Reimyo, AMR, Moon way of doing things, but until I hear one, I can't say that is definitely the case.

It is true that the on-line mags etc said a lot about the CDP-777, but bar Hi-Fi+ none of English printed mags did. I am pretty sure about that as I buy most of them. The thing I hope does not happen with Hi-Fi + under its new guise, but fear it will, is the products overlooked by the others which + reviewed;will not see print now. Already+ is reviewing similar kit to everyone else.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Steve.

Neil

I have to agree with you regarding the 'new' Hi Fi+.

I have not been impressed with the makeover and the latest (yawn) edition 68 dropped through my letter box on Saturday morning. It is the last of my current subscription issues and sadly I will not be renewing.

The latest generation dCS kit (Puccini, Paganini & Scarlatti) are so much better than what went before.

For me, the emotion and musicality I got from the Reimyo is retained together with a whole lot more detail retrieval and recreation of the soundstage.

Steve
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    Neil

I have to agree with you regarding the 'new' Hi Fi+.

I have not been impressed with the makeover and the latest (yawn) edition 68 dropped through my letter box on Saturday morning. It is the last of my current subscription issues and sadly I will not be renewing.

The latest generation dCS kit (Puccini, Paganini & Scarlatti) are so much better than what went before.

For me, the emotion and musicality I got from the Reimyo is retained together with a whole lot more detail retrieval and recreation of the soundstage.

Steve

Sounds interesting Steve. you are a lucky guy to have such nice gear, nice room etc. I will look forward to hearing the DCS items at some time in the future.

Yep I think + is running headlong to mediocrity. RoyG had his flaws, but at least the mag was interesting and different under his ownership/editorship. As it sits now, it is similar mag to all the others. However time will tell. Alan Sircom is IMHO one of the good guys...so I will keep an aye on +, and hope it finds a way to still bring the unusual/non-mainstream kit to our attention.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

MartinT Guest

Hi Neil, I've only just got to reading your review and it's an excellent write-up. Great photography too, you made me salivate over equipment that I've never come across in all the shows I've been to. Reimyo has just passed me by, I haven't even seen it mentioned in the mags. If I wasn't so very happy with my Ayre C-5xe MP, that would be one machine on my 'must hear' list.

Regarding your woes on losing your job, I do sympathise. I was made redundant in 2002 and was offered the services of an outplacement agency. They made me focus on all my contacts over the years and, like you, I rapidly learned who my true friends were, compared with the so-called ones who disappeared into the woodwork when I asked for help or even just a referral. Still, one (sort of) career change later I couldn't be happier in my work despite earning only half what I used to bring home then. There's a lot to be said for job satisfaction over income.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Hi Neil, I've only just got to reading your review and it's an excellent write-up. Great photography too, you made me salivate over equipment that I've never come across in all the shows I've been to. Reimyo has just passed me by, I haven't even seen it mentioned in the mags. If I wasn't so very happy with my Ayre C-5xe MP, that would be one machine on my 'must hear' list.

Regarding your woes on losing your job, I do sympathise. I was made redundant in 2002 and was offered the services of an outplacement agency. They made me focus on all my contacts over the years and, like you, I rapidly learned who my true friends were, compared with the so-called ones who disappeared into the woodwork when I asked for help or even just a referral. Still, one (sort of) career change later I couldn't be happier in my work despite earning only half what I used to bring home then. There's a lot to be said for job satisfaction over income.
    Hi Martin

Thank you for your kind words.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Mico.

I never experience Reimyo CDT-777 Transport nor DAP-999 EX. If I were you, I will try to play some JVC K2 CDs.

I have two JVC DACs, su ax7(2014) and su ax01(2016). Both have K2 technology and can delivery analog master tape sound quality as advertised by playing "K2HD mastering" CD or its accurate-rip WAV file. For the latter model, it can in addition play JVC CDs with "K2 technology" label brilliantly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123