+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, my Pi is broken!

I'm Marc.

Volumio is a Rasbian distro (which in turn is simply derived from Debian's 'ArmHF' version (Debian being one of the kings of free software)) they just offer some specific pre-loaded packages and configuration files - anyone who could be bothered could turn their Rasbian install into volumio by using the packages and configuration files from their github repository.

It seems that all these hifi flavours (moode, rune, volumio) are just tweaked versions of MPD (with libspotify for spotify access) on fairly vanila raspbian distros.

But yes as Josie points out you don't need to worry about that, just need one image to get you going. I would add though that I never seem to have any luck unless I freshly format the sd card (as FAT32) before writing an image to it.

I'm Loz.

OK folks, an update. I'm losing the will a bit. Can't seem to get any of it working correctly.

I formatted the SD card. That was ok. 32gb card. I wrote the Moode img file to the SD card using win32diskimager. Put the card back in the Pi. Plugged in Ethernet cable. Powered up. Couldn't find Moode on any device. So decided to try Volumio. Installed it fine. Got Spotify to work but couldn't get it to see my library of music on the USB drive. I'm thinking of just trying to go back to Runeaudio now.

I have also noticed that the SD card now shows a total capacity of 70mb! It's a 32gb card. Any ideas?
    I realise there is light at the end of the tunnel with this as lots of people are using and enjoying it but it's a bit frustrating to be honest.

Cheers folks

Loz

I'm Grant.

Tim Curtis has just joined Loz. he is the man behind Moode so ask him a question as to what he thinks is the problem

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...203#post692203

Not sure where its gone wrong tbh. was the card completely clear and formatted to fat32? sounds like there is more than one program on the card or there is a problem with it. I only use an 8gb one. sounds to me like the sd card is ot written right or there were conflicts. Worth persevering as when it gets sorted you will get the benefits
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Loz.

Just saw that Grant. 😊
    I'll persevere with it. It'll be a good learning exercise.

I'm Marc.

When you write an image file for a Pi the SD card will get split in to 2 partitions, one of about 70meg that's the boot partition (tells the Pi how to boot and what to load etc) and then the other partition will hold the OS - most of the distros now either automatically or have an option to 'inflate' the second partition to the remaining space of the card (DietPi does it automatically on its first boot).

You might not be seeing the second partition on your laptop if it's a windows machine, I've not checked but I suspect it's probably formatted to an open source format (Ext3 or sommit) which Windows refuses to read.

I'm Grant.

These are the carsd I have been using and seem pretty good. I us an sd adaptor into a us to sd card adaptor rather than a card reader as such.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o07_s00
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    When you write an image file for a Pi the SD card will get split in to 2 partitions, one of about 70meg that's the boot partition (tells the Pi how to boot and what to load etc) and then the other partition will hold the OS - most of the distros now either automatically or have an option to 'inflate' the second partition to the remaining space of the card (DietPi does it automatically on its first boot).

You might not be seeing the second partition on your laptop if it's a windows machine, I've not checked but I suspect it's probably formatted to an open source format (Ext3 or sommit) which Windows refuses to read.
    Thanks for the reply Marc. I wonder then is there a way to get back the partition I can't see?

I'm Grant.

You could format it in fat 32. I just do the quick format and see its on fat 32. (if it is on another format)
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Loz.

Found a nifty little program called SDFormatter. Job done.

Thanks guys.

Loz

I'm Loz.

I'm getting there!

I have managed to get Moode working i think. Was a great feeling to hear Don Letts on 6 Music come through the speakers. Now just trying to get Moode to see the USB drive. It's updating! Might have to leave for the evening now. Early start.

Thanks again Grant, Jo and Marc

Cheers

Loz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast