+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for advice on a (new) phono pre-amp

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Elys has a spongy bass IMO which could be backed up on measurement (I think 'Choice did some tests when they came out - the bass lifting in level quite alarmingly below 200Hz or so). The diamond was of a good quality though and recent tweaks may have cleaned it up a bit. You should find the AT440MLa to be a meaner, leaner kind of presentation and hopefully, better...

If you want a less "assertive" treble performance, I'll stick me neck out (again) and suggest a Stanton 681EEE mk3. The mk3 designation should mean it's better than my thirty year old example and as long as the cartridge body doesn't short out on the arm-pipe (you can remove a little earthing strap if it does and causes hum), you may like the tuneful and spacious delivery.

If the current Ortofon MM's are as good or better than the M20FL Super I have (which likes massy arms) then one of their top two could be considered as well. Their prices appear made up to me, but how can I argue with business accountants?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Elys has a spongy bass IMO which could be backed up on measurement (I think 'Choice did some tests when they came out - the bass lifting in level quite alarmingly below 200Hz or so). The diamond was of a good quality though and recent tweaks may have cleaned it up a bit. You should find the AT440MLa to be a meaner, leaner kind of presentation and hopefully, better...

If you want a less "assertive" treble performance, I'll stick me neck out (again) and suggest a Stanton 681EEE mk3. The mk3 designation should mean it's better than my thirty year old example and as long as the cartridge body doesn't short out on the arm-pipe (you can remove a little earthing strap if it does and causes hum), you may like the tuneful and spacious delivery.

If the current Ortofon MM's are as good or better than the M20FL Super I have (which likes massy arms) then one of their top two could be considered as well. Their prices appear made up to me, but how can I argue with business accountants?
    Thanks for your advice Dave.
    I think I will start with the AT440MLa (that can be bought at Sound HiFi, so, still better). Then, later on, I'll take a look at the Ortofon MM's.
    Never had a Stanton, I think. If I had to choose between the Ortofon or the Stanton what would you advise ? I like "relaxed" sound, that is, the one you can listen for hours, you know. The sound that does not attract my attention on one particular part of the spectrum rather than another, but I'm demanding on mid-low frequencies.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123