+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a (new) phono pre-amp

I'm ChrisB.

What was wrong with the Cyrus 2 in the first place? - that had a pretty respectable phono stage - MM & MC.
    I've got one knocking about somewhere.

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    What was wrong with the Cyrus 2 in the first place? - that had a pretty respectable phono stage - MM & MC.
    Nothing really, my wife was complaining that I had too much hifi gear, and a friend of mine needed it more than me. (he gave it to his wife, then divorced...)

I make mistakes, sometimes...
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Hi all,

It's uncommon enough, but I'll have to change my phono stage...

So, I asked my (favorite) local dealer who advised me to get a Pro-ject Tube Box II.

Any opinions on this or an alternative option (on the same budget: around 350€) would be appreciated.

Thank you for you help.
    Your dealer is on the right track, I have one and I love it.

It easily beats out the one in my Luxman L-430.

You can swap the tubes out as the Pro-Ject ones are not up to par and don't do the unit justice at all.

Get a pair of decent tubes and it takes it to a whole new level.

You can adjust the sound to suit your tastes depending on the tubes you use.

I have some Philips/Amperex and they give a very forward detailed presentation.

I also have some Mullard reissues and they are very sweet and laid back, the sort of sound you can listen to all day.

If I were you I would seriously consider one.
    Last edited by Hypnotoad; 03-10-2009 at 20:00.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I'm Paul.

I have a Pro-Ject Tube Box (Mk1) and that is very good as well. It wont be a bad choice at all if you get one. I use mine on MC which works by just cranking the gain right up and the thing is fairly silent.
    ~Paul~

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Thanks for filling in on the system.

The Cyrus 2 has only one reliability problem and as yours hasn't broken, your mate should be ok. the supply caps to the phono stage used to go bad and cause a loud buzzing through the amp. A PSX used to beef the whole effect up and we used to supply an Isoplat to "present" them on which kept the two boxes together well if nothing else.

I would suggest a new cartridge. Depending on the Rega, which changed arms from the R200 to RB250 in late 1983, their cartridges always seemed too bass-heavy to me (apart from the Exact, which wasn't as bad - don't know the tricky Apheta).

depending on the Rega arm, look out for an AT120e or 440e, one of Marco's favourite Nagaoka's or the safe-as-houses Denon DL110 or 160
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I would suggest a new cartridge.
    depending on the Rega arm, look out for an AT120e or 440e, one of Marco's favourite Nagaoka's or the safe-as-houses Denon DL110 or 160
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I never tried a Nagaoka, but a 440e why not, I haven't listened to an AT for years... will bring back some souvenirs.
    I'll look at my Rega's arm tomorrow to see which one it is. EDIT: it's an RB300 (because I'd made a typo on my Planar model) with an Elys cartridge. If I change my turntable my wife will divorce then kill me, and not necessarily in that order...

(I emailed Glenn to see where/how could I get his amp... it looks a good choice)
    Last edited by Themis; 04-10-2009 at 07:55.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Ok, thanks for the advice. I never tried a Nagaoka, but a 440e why not, I haven't listened to an AT for years... will bring back some souvenirs.
    I'll look at my Rega's arm tomorrow to see which one it is. EDIT: it's an RB300 (because I'd made a typo on my Planar model) with an Elys cartridge. If I change my turntable my wife will divorce then kill me, and not necessarily in that order...

(I emailed Glenn to see where/how could I get his amp... it looks a good choice)
    Maybe she will just maim you and you will still be able to listen to your new turntable.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I'm Peter.

I don't have any feedback on the Nano
    It's very good, works fine with MM & MC, needs a day or two to warm up but sounds good cold. (I also have some spare MP11s you can try, not special, but competant)
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.