+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a (new) phono pre-amp

I'm notAlone.

Default Looking for advice on a (new) phono pre-amp

Hi all,

It's uncommon enough, but I'll have to change my phono stage...

So, I asked my (favorite) local dealer who advised me to get a Pro-ject Tube Box II.

Any opinions on this or an alternative option (on the same budget: around 350€) would be appreciated.

Thank you for you help.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Steve.

Hi Dimitri.

Are you intending to use a MM, MC or potentially either?

If it's just MM then I'd suggest an A.N.T. Audio Kora 3T, designed by this forum's own Alex Nikitin, and something that I'm sure Dave Cawley of Sound HiFi could do a good deal on.

If you want the option of both and can't spend any more, you could consider the Clear Audio Nano.

Have a look here: http://www.soundhifi.com/phonostage.html#ant
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm notAlone.

Thank you for your advice.

I use only MM cartridges, I don't plan of purchasing an MC cartridge anywhere soon. So the A.N.T. seems a nice choice (although I didn't get it all about the different models )
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I don't know if you can trust the likes of HiFi Dave, Marco and me, or whether you can justify spending £350, but I bet Crofts new "credit-crunch" preamp complete with phono stage would see off many of the traditional alternatives I reckon (use the fixed ouput sockets - if there are any on this one...[help!!!]).

If the Croft is totally unsuitable, then Dave Cawley would be the chap on here to contact for phono-stages under £200. That little Nano looks interesting, he recommends the latest version of the Nad (PP2.

Another quick question - what phono stage are you using at the moment? Why do you need to change it and what's the rest of your system?

Always remember fella's - on a VINYL system the "garbage in-garbage out" saying, together with the whole hierarchy ideal, holds almost absolutely true still. A better phono stage may just reproduce failings further back, although if the source (doesn't have to be expensive) is well sorted as it is, a better phono stage will get the best out of it.

A two edged sword I'm afraid. Good luck in getting yourself sorted.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm InSpace.

A little more pricey as you'd need the matching PSU as well, but outstanding sound!

http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/info_WDPHONO3.html
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm David.

no doubt alex or dave will along to help soon enough!
    this might help http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/files/Kora_3T_09.pdf
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I don't know if you can trust the likes of HiFi Dave, Marco and me, or whether you can justify spending £350, but I bet Crofts new "credit-crunch" preamp complete with phono stage would see off many of the traditional alternatives I reckon (use the fixed ouput sockets - if there are any on this one...[help!!!]).

Yes, the Croft does have a pair of fixed output sockets.

Martin

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

If the Croft is totally unsuitable, then Dave Cawley would be the chap on here to contact for phono-stages under £200. That little Nano looks interesting, he recommends the latest version of the Nad (PP2.

Another quick question - what phono stage are you using at the moment? Why do you need to change it and what's the rest of your system?

Always remember fella's - on a VINYL system the "garbage in-garbage out" saying, together with the whole hierarchy ideal, holds almost absolutely true still. A better phono stage may just reproduce failings further back, although if the source (doesn't have to be expensive) is well sorted as it is, a better phono stage will get the best out of it.

A two edged sword I'm afraid. Good luck in getting yourself sorted.
    Well, for 20 years or so, I've been using my old (25yrs) Cyrus 2 phono stage (don't lough please ).
    Then, I decided to change the amp, gave it to a friend (it still works, btw), then bought an Arcam amp. But I ended up not liking the sound, so I switched to a Denon one. The Denon's has other advantages (so, I'm keeping it), its phono stage is ok, but not to the point of my old Cyrus one.
    I tested various preamps/amps (NAD C162 included) and I even quickly tested some entry-level phono stages (like Pro Ject), but I didn't like the sound of the latter at all.
    I ended up renewing my amp, and after many tests, I ended up settling down with a Cyrus 8xp amp, which suits me (and my speakers) the best. Yes, funny, I know, back to Cyrus, after all... Unfortunately this amp has no phono input... so I start searching all over again, this time just for the phono input.
    My speakers are a couple of Sonus Faber GPD, my room has no "obvious" acoustic problems.

The price (300-350€) seems the maximum I should "logically" spend using a (carefully set up by my friends at Audiophile Technologie near by) Rega Planar 2 turntable (which is also 25yrs old...). I actually have a mid-priced Rega cartridge mounted on it, I'm rather satisfied.
    Of course, I prefer spending 150£ or even 200£ on a good phono stage, and spend the rest on music or concerts... Still better.
    I'm not against getting a preamp like Croft's one (if it has some fixed output, of course EDIT: it seems it has, Martin says). I don't have any feedback on the Nano, I wonder whether the NAD is somewhere near the integrated stage of the C152...

Thanks once more for you feedback.
    Last edited by Themis; 03-10-2009 at 15:47.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm Jason.

You could always search out a secondhand Musical Fidelity X-LPS. I've one and am very happy with it - they do seem to come up from time to time...

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I've been running a GSP Audio GramAmp 2 SE for ages, and have been very happy with its' performance. Mine is the black plastic box version - they gained the spiffy looking aluminium case a couple of years after I got mine.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast