+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastering or Filling under a bay window to secure blinds to advise

I'm Robert.

Default Plastering or Filling under a bay window to secure blinds to advise

The blinds covering the middle window in the bedroom bay have fallen down. Some of the plaster had come away taking the piece of timber they were attached to with them. I've had the wood up there for years to secure the curtain rails to and now the blinds. What I want to know is whats a good approach so that the piece of 1 by 1.5 wont come away again when I attempt to glue it back up as before with no nails and hopefully re-attach the blinds. The area of plaster that has come away is not large. I usually fill with red devil type filler, the soft white stuf which I find easy to use. I need whatever I do to be as secure as possible as I really (and obviously) don't want them coming down again - what would you use / do ?

I'm Geoff.

Remove any loose material from the cavity left by the dislodged plaster. Treat the hole to be filled with Unibond or similar PVA type stabilizer (mix it with a little water). Then fill with a well mixed, good quality plaster. I like Tetrion filler for smaller jobs, but I dare say others could use something else. Make sure the plaster is worked into all gaps or irregularities at the back of the cavity. You can actually add a little Unibond to the plaster to make it set stronger. For a job like this, I'd probably just use my fingers to work a bit of plaster in first and finish off filling with a scraper to get the surface level. Sand flat when dry with fairly coarse sandpaper.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Thats really good advice nice one Geoff; just what I'd do, especially the, having a clean cavity bit... most important
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Thats really good advice nice one Geoff; just what I'd do, especially the, having a clean cavity bit... most important
    Agreed Grant -Thanks Geoff advise sounds sensible and clear which is much appreciated

I'm Geoff.

I should have added, when cleaning the cavity use a dry paint brush or/and a hoover! Dust affects adhesion.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I should have added, when cleaning the cavity use a dry paint brush or/and a hoover! Dust affects adhesion.
    Cheers Geoff

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Remove any loose material from the cavity left by the dislodged plaster. Treat the hole to be filled with Unibond or similar PVA type stabilizer (mix it with a little water). Then fill with a well mixed, good quality plaster. I like Tetrion filler for smaller jobs, but I dare say others could use something else. Make sure the plaster is worked into all gaps or irregularities at the back of the cavity. You can actually add a little Unibond to the plaster to make it set stronger. For a job like this, I'd probably just use my fingers to work a bit of plaster in first and finish off filling with a scraper to get the surface level. Sand flat when dry with fairly coarse sandpaper.
    Being a bish bosher by trade if the plaster has been taken back to the brick work- as Geoff said brush out any dust, then brush the background with clean water making what you are to plaster damp, prior to plastering, ( when mixing plaster use the cleanest water possible as this increases strength and cuts down on the said plaster shrinking to quickly) mix the plaster as much as possible so it forms a creamy mass ( like butter if you will) DO NOT PUT PVA IN ANY PLASTER- as it will be very hard to rub down if you have to- just clean water and mix well, that is all that is require.

Good luck.

PS; l will PM you my number if you need further assistance.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Dave.

To add to the above replies. I would never use 'no-more nails', or similar to fix wood to the wall. Plug and screw. Especially with the weight of curtains/blinds + curtain pole etc.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by jollyfix View Post
    To add to the above replies. I would never use 'no-more nails', or similar to fix wood to the wall. Plug and screw. Especially with the weight of curtains/blinds + curtain pole etc.
    Hi Dave, I know what you mean. I've used no nails before to put a piece of wood above window area like back room patio. As you probably know these areas are notorious for crumbly old plaster that just wont take drilling for your rawplug. You drill and its a gape The pieces are still up 15 years on. The only reason for this recent issue was a broken tile which caused damp above that area which has been sorted. To drill into the ceiling of the bay area to fix plug and screw fittings would be too much, I'd just be making big holes. As you know those areas are not that deep and solid anyway but I totally appreciate what you are saying.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by jollyfix View Post
    x2 Rawplug, screw all day long.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast