+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To Garrard 301/401 or Thorens TD124mk 2, that is the question ?

I'm Josie.

no probs, Neil... as I said, though. If you can't listen to them side by side then just buy what you like. They are both superb TT's in every respect.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Care to put more meat onto why?

Regards Neil
    The Garrards sounded very good, but I preferred the G88/99 sound. The Garrards are also a bit 'clunkier' to use.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

As an owner of three Thorens 124/IIs, it wouldn't surprise you to learn that is what I would recommend!

I have to confess I have never listened to either a Garrard 301 or 401 'in anger'; my experience of them has either been through a friend using one, or in one of the better record shops that used a Garrard deck with either Decca or SME arm.

Given the choice I would probably go for a Thorens as the SQ is virtually independant of the plinth used, and the arm board is interchangable. The Garrard's SQ is highly dependant on the plinth. Of the two, the Thorens is mechanically more complicated, but IMO is easier to service, though genuine spare parts are becoming more and more expensive.

It is generally considered that the Garrards have better bass performance, whereas the Thorens beat the Garrards elsewhere.

I have had a quick look on eBay. Depending on location, condition or whether the TTs come with a plinth, BIN prices for the two decks are:

Garrard 301/401 £850 - £1,760

Thorens 124/II £750 - £2,000.

Trust this is of some help

Regards
    Barry

(PS You might like to consider a Goldring G99. I have spent some time with one of these decks, and have to confess it gave my Thorens a good run for the money.)
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As an owner of three Thorens 124/IIs, it wouldn't surprise you to learn that is what I would recommend!

I have to confess I have never listened to either a Garrard 301 or 401 'in anger'; my experience of them has either been through a friend using one, or in one of the better record shops that used a Garrard deck with either Decca or SME arm.

Given the choice I would probably go for a Thorens as the SQ is virtually independant of the plinth used, and the arm board is interchangable. The Garrard's SQ is highly dependant on the plinth. Of the two, the Thorens is mechanically more complicated, but IMO is easier to service, though genuine spare parts are becoming more and more expensive.

It is generally considered that the Garrards have better bass performance, whereas the Thorens beat the Garrards elsewhere.

I have had a quick look on eBay. Depending on location, condition or whether the TTs come with a plinth, BIN prices for the two decks are:

Garrard 301/401 £850 - £1,760

Thorens 124/II £750 - £2,000.

Trust this is of some help

Regards
    Barry

(PS You might like to consider a Goldring G99. I have spent some time with one of these decks, and have to confess it gave my Thorens a good run for the money.)
    There are a few 401's kicking around for £500 ish but yes the Emporium Thoren's is £750.

Interesting re the plinth being less of an issue with a TD124 than the Garrards, that's useful to know.

I certainly don't want to go crazy on this as I may not like what I hear, shame I know no one here with a 401 or 124 I could hear - makes it harder.

Regards Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 28-09-2015 at 18:40.

I'm Andrew.

301 all the way baby!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    301 all the way baby!
    Why ?

Regards Neil

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Why ?

Regards Neil
    Because I prefer the aesthetics and sonic capabilities of the 301 over the 401 and I think that a 301 when applied with a decent external PSU more than equals a TD124 mk2. I have to be honest and say I've never heard a Goldring G88 / G99 but I would suspect a properly sorted example would be just as good as a Garrard or Thorens deck for considerably less money.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Neil.

Because I prefer the aesthetics and sonic capabilities of the 301 over the 401 and I think that a 301 when applied with a decent external PSU more than equals a TD124 mk2. I have to be honest and say I've never heard a Goldring G88 / G99 but I would suspect a properly sorted example would be just as good as a Garrard or Thorens deck for considerably less money.
    Ok, thank you Andrew.

Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Have you compared a Thorens 124/II in perfect condition with a Garrard 301/401 (without an external PSU)?
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Have you compared a Thorens 124/II in perfect condition with a Garrard 301/401 (without an external PSU)?
    No, but I'm giving the Thorens the respect is deserves. But define a "perfect condition" Thorens, where's you reference metric?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast